• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Should I get a .32 or .36 for Jackrabits?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlainsRifleMan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just curious what would you choose for jackrabits in Arizona? I've shot them with shotgun and .22 rifle before, but thinking about buying used if I can find one, a .32 or .36 smokepole. I've shot them up to 100 yds. with my scoped .22 so long shots with a .36 is what I was thinking. I would also consider using this gun for Coyotes. Thanks for feedback.
Jeff

For rabbit and squirrel size game,the 32 is plenty.Go bigger and the 36 will fit.
I got both and they both have their place.

Get a .40 cal. You can reach out there & knock the manure out of the coyotes too.

Keith Lisle

I believe the same a Hanshi & 410-er....But I am willing to bet that in the near future you will have both a .32 and a .36 just cuz they are fun to shoot. Just remember that if you stoke that .32 up with 40 grains powder the ball will be zipping along at about 2200 feet per second !
and it might lead up yer barrl perty quick...

and like Birddog said too...a .40 is an all around gun.

Of those two choices, I'd take a 36 . . . cuz the Jacks over here don't let you get close, and the wind is not your friend, kinda wish I bought a 40 . . .

For those unfamiliar with jack rabbits . . . there easily 4 times the size/weight of a cottontail (on top):
Hunting014.jpg

Backstraps are YUMMY!
Hunting019.jpg

I say at least a .36! Never know when you will come across a Jackalope. Hmmmm :hmm: Maybe a .40 would be in order? :confused:

For an Arizona coyote or jack rabbit I'd lean towards a .36 or .40.

The little .32 is fine for squirrels and cottontails but IMO the 45 grain .310 roundball, which looses a lot of velocity at ranges over 50 yards is just too light for a jack or 'yote.

I've been playing hell with them up in Paulden, AZ for years with everything from 17 Mach 2 to 22-250. Got my first one yesterday with my new Traditions Crockett 32. 310 ball, 015 patch, 20 gr of Hodgdon 777 FFF. About 30 yds. Put him down hard. Don't think it would be good for coyotes though here. Long shots are the norm up this way.

It is all going to depend on how close you can get before you have to pull the trigger. If 100 yards is the norm rather than the exception then I would go up to a .45, then you will have plenty of power for coyotes as well as big jack rabbits and cotton tails. At squirrels and cotton tails close in then you will love the .32, but it is not enough for yotes and marginal for big jack rabbits past 30 yards or so. Go up to the .36 and you add another 20 yards or so to the distance that makes for a humane kill. Nothing against the .40 for it is loved by some for how accurate it can be for them, but this caliber isn't offered in most of the production "squirrel" rifle configurations and accessories are not as readily available as the others although you can find aftermaket barrels in that caliber to fit your stock dpending on the model. Keep in mind that nothing makes up for a bad shot and it's the mature hunter who passes up a shot because it is beyond his or her limitations. As much as a hate coyotes I would never intentionally wound or gut shoot one because I didn't have enough gun with me.

Being that the lead sphere is an exponential cat...............the 32 or the 36 is a real valid question IMO!

The 36 is a little guy, and the 32 is even smaller. The Jacks we have around these parts will start scooting at the drop of a hat, and my current 36 just can't keep up. I am currently building a 40 for Jacks/Coyotes.

From my pretty limited (3 years with my 36)smallbore venture, I would opt for the 36 right now. You will end up owning a 32 anyway, but the 36 is more forgiving IMO.

I will admit, shot placement is rarely ideal with the Jacks in Southern California..............if they are not running, the might stop for a look-see at about 100 yards :shake:

i agree with what outhers have said go with the 36 and soon you will own both i know i did an i do i live in southern new mexico and the 36 with shaped bullets works for me hunting dogs and jacks the 32 is great for cotton tail and tree rats an a side note the 32 is bout like a 22 mag for me

Back