• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 vs. .44 "Stopping Power"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember an article by Phil Shoemaker where a client wounded a Brown bear. He sent the client back to the cabin with the Jr. guide and had the guide bring back ani-other guide. Any how they found the bear in the brush. The guide shot it with his 375 H & H magnum. his gun jammed, Phil shot the bear with a 505 Gibbs, I don't remember how many times but the bear slid to within 10 feet of him! Definitely a fresh underwear situation. I have black bears come in my yard quite often. The most effective thing I have found is a boat horn, a can of compressed air with a horn on it. Scares them every time.

It's all about shot placement as long as you have the penetration to get it done. There are timers and switches just like knife fighting. A timer will bleed you out but not fast enough to keep you from doing damage. A switch is just what it sounds like. Central nervous system is the switch. The Inuit woman who killed the largest known brown bear with a .22 long knew this and shot a switch. Hickok tried to shoot a switch with his griz but he hit the forehead with a .36 navy and did not get penetration. That got nasty for him. I was very impressed with the power of the 1858 and 220g conical. I suspect that might have the penetration required? 10Ga means nothing if you don't hit the right spot. Friend of mine needed 3 shots with a 300 Win mag to down deer at 40yrds....

It's all about shot placement as long as you have the penetration to get it done. There are timers and switches just like knife fighting. A timer will bleed you out but not fast enough to keep you from doing damage. A switch is just what it sounds like. Central nervous system is the switch. The Inuit woman who killed the largest known brown bear with a .22 long knew this and shot a switch. Hickok tried to shoot a switch with his griz but he hit the forehead with a .36 navy and did not get penetration. That got nasty for him. I was very impressed with the power of the 1858 and 220g conical. I suspect that might have the penetration required? 10Ga means nothing if you don't hit the right spot. Friend of mine needed 3 shots with a 300 Win mag to down deer at 40yrds....
Yep, shot placement is the key. Doesn't matter how big bad and powerful your firearm is, if you don't hit where you need to aim.

A 22 hit in the right place will kill something

A 22 hit in the right place will kill something
Yes. As derided the lowly .22lr is it can be effective at times. I recently watched one of those game warden shows. They were arresting a guy for killing a black bear out of season. The bear had been raiding the man's garbage and he shot it once with a .22lr in a attempt to discourage it. But, the bear fell dead from the shot.

When people asked about my carry 41 magnum I told them it was to shoot myself if I encountered a grizzly (brown) bear!

I had zero expectations of it for bear SD. Noise maker yes, snipe a bear if I had to if I could get up in a tree (if it would not leave) yes.

As noted with the 357, eventually it would kill a bear.
Had a friend that liked to hunt moose. He carried a .458 Win. Mag. He told the story of how he had come upon a grizzly while hunting. A small ravine, about 10 yards across separated him from the bear, he said that down one side of the ravine and up the other was about 1/4 mile. Said he leveled his .458 at the bear then changed his mind because, according to him, he wasn't sure that if was enough rifle and if not killed outright the bear could possibly jump that 10 yards and rearrange the location of his body parts. I suppose that in the past, people used bp because it's all they had, but I've known people that would deliberately hunt bear, usually black bear with C&B revolvers, but then. I've also wondered/worried about their mental state too when doing something this stupid.

Back