• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

show your best deer pics

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lockjaw

40 Cal.
Reaction score
...heres mine...50 cal renegade @ 10 ft. still hunting...2003...New Hampshire...195# dressed...
MVC-002X.jpg

The very best bucks I have shot were with a ML.
I have shot several others but these are the best I have. Ron

Megabuck15.jpg

Megadeer15.jpg

Mybuck55.jpg

I just realized that there is there is 11 years difference between the first picture and the last. Ron

Lockjaw,
You are referring to field dressed? Gutted? hide and head on at 195#?

Ron,

What is the rail weight on those type of Idaho bucks? Closely trimmed, dressed carcass weight?

Bucks like that on my place in Kansas will go 300-325 live and will dress at about 175#. Down here in Neuvo Mehiko they are pretty scrawny, not much for racks and maybe 225# live weight. Quite a bit of difference between not eating and eating. My bucks feed on alfalfa, soybeans, and corn, and these NM bucks scratch with the packrats for food.

Nice buck! :thumbsup:

Here's mine. .50GPR, 100 yards, 200#+ dressed (scale quit there), Illinois.
Antlers score 160. Over 22" inside spread.
BigBuck.jpg

Nice bucks guys!

Here is my best Flinter buck taken 4 years ago from about 10 yards? Not a real wide spread but the longest tines are 13" and he has a 3-4" droptine.

64c1af66.jpg

Good luck!
Wess

Bountyhunter said:
Lockjaw,
You are referring to field dressed? Gutted? hide and head on at 195

...yes to all the above...that is the weight at the check-in station...

...a big deer for my area...i tracked it over wet grass, overturned leaves...suddenly noticed an antler tine showing from behind a very large white pine...@ 10 ft in front of me...got down on one knee and waited till he stepped out from behind the tree...i have not been so lucky since... :wink: :wink: :wink:

Man yall are killing me. I have only got a doe but this year is going to be the year of the buck!!!!

The buck in the first picture was 182 pounds carcass weight no hide, head, or legs. The other two were not weighed. I would guess them in the 150 to 160 pound range carcass only.
It takes a big deer to go over 170 pounds carcass weight.
The score of the first buck was 193 gross, Second was 177 gross and the last one was 170 gross. Ron

I've never officially weighed, scored, or mounted any bucks...this is a nice one I took with a T/C Hawken /.GM .58cal...my estimate is 175 lbs live weight...he's the buck I had to drop a flint on twice...the first time I'd forgotten to pull off the hammer stall. :wink:

BestFlintlockinantlers1000pixels007.jpg

I cant get to my pics, I burned a video card out of my pic computer, but I took two mulie bucks on my place in Kansas that scored dry 173 and 176. Nice bucks for that area. They railed right at 175#, but I trimmed a lot of tallow off of them. If I'd a left it on, I'd a won the contest and the rifle, instead, I got second and a skinnin knife.
873811pt330_buck.jpg

This is is my last ML buck. He has a mismatched rack and I wanted him out of my herd, dont need inferior genetics being passed on. I took him with my real Hawken .53, PRB over 120gr powder at about 80 yards.
Hawken4.jpg

We lost the disposeable camera that had al the field and camp shots on this one, it is the best Blacktail I have taken in scored 120 which is not big by Muley and Whitetail standards but is a nice Blacktail, it probably weighed around 150lb+ after field dressing, took it in '97 with a .40 Navy arms caplock that was rebarreled with a GM 13/16x1/48 twist .395 ball 60 gr 3f. at about 70 yds,it is a 4x4 counting the brow tine, when I took it to the taxidermist he had a couple of dozen Blacktail racks that were 4x4 or 4x5 and only two would not set inside this rack, damndest thingwas it cut with a fork and was some of the best venison I'v had. since tgis one it has been mostly does/spikes and a couple of fair sized 4x4s and 3x4's shown in the other pics, go a digital camera now so I can get some good field pics in the future. The big one was the longest shot the others were with larger bore guns, prb and under 50-60 yds, the Euro mount was even closer if I recall, one should keep a journal I guess as the years go ...so does the memory.

bk.jpg

P8020064.jpg

P8020078.jpg

Here's my best with a muzzleloader:

CaplockBuck.jpg

I never weighed him & don't remember the measurements, but I took him December 1, 2001 with a Thompson Center .54 caliber percussion Renegade.

Kid told me about this big buck he shot at, face on at close range the year before during our shotgun season. In this new area I started hunting that year. Said he aimed at its nose....Only a wild guess mind you, but I think it's the same one.

That definitely looks like a shotgun sabot slug hole. About .50 cal.

He missed his nose.

:haha:

HD

Seeing I'm a meat hunter, all my "best deer" have been does. All my "best sausage deer" have been the bigger bucks including a 10 pointer......Fred

Back