• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

showing off. warncliffe woodscraft knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ice Tigre

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey all,

just thought I would pop in and show my latest knife,I finished it up last night.3-1/4" convex warncliffe blade,7-1/2" overall. the steel is 1095 high carbon. Wish I knew what the wood is.... :hmm:

I figure it for carving/whittling/woodscraft/bushcraft type work. Would probably do good as a cut at the muzzle knife too.

Gary
(hope its OK to post this here :hmm: )
hpim0443.jpg

hpim0445.jpg

Here it is with a "bird hunter" in curly maple, I finished the day before.
hpim0454.jpg

man--my palms are iching. that will make a h ll of a whittler. thanks for the eye-candy.

take care, daniel

Nice looking knives. Back in the '50's an expert fly fisherman taught me how to fish the S. Platte river. He had a knife with a wharnclif blade on it. It was razor sharp, he used it for everything from trimming hackles, cutting tippets, cleaning varnish out of the hook eye to cleaning fish. Nice job on both knives.

Joe

Thanks guys!

I've always liked the warnie shape, they always seem to be razor sharp! To get compliments like that from someone who makes great knives.. :redface:

Gary

[quote

I've always liked the warnie shape, they always seem to be razor sharp
[/quote]

It is a pretty shape! Is there any particular advantage to it? :confused:

Capt. William

Well, I believe that one of the original variations had a bit more curve at the point,(sometimes called a sheapsfoot) and there was virualy no sharp point to it. You couldn't stab anything with it, one of the versions I've heard is that it was a sailors knife, if dropped, or it you fell/tripped, you wouldn't impale anyone.(especialy yourself)

One reason I like it is that its easier to sharppen; no curve to go around. :winking:

Other than that I have no idea...

Gary

Ice Tigre,
Very nice! Looks like it would make
a fine patch knife. Can't quite make out the
builders mark on the blade...Is it IT?
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

Ice Tigre said:
Well, I believe that one of the original variations had a bit more curve at the point,(sometimes called a sheapsfoot) and there was virualy no sharp point to it. You couldn't stab anything with it, one of the versions I've heard is that it was a sailors knife, if dropped, or it you fell/tripped, you wouldn't impale anyone.(especialy yourself)

One reason I like it is that its easier to sharppen; no curve to go around. :winking:

Other than that I have no idea...

Gary

Make's sense!

Aye, sailor's working knives have little need for a point, and a point makes them very potentially dangerous for the user and others: not only if dropped, but with the rocking motion of the vessel.

Also, a pointless knife is of less use in a fight. Or a mutiny! :grin:

Capt. William

Thanks Guys,

I'm working on my website now, need to see if my work is good enough to sell... :redface: :shake:

Gary

Back