• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

shredded patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paradork

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Took my traditions .32 deer hunter to the range to double check the sights before squirrel hunting again. Shootin 30grains of goex 3f with a .311 RB. 15 patch greased with TOW mink oil. Looking at the patches shows most have in my opinion excessive shredding and fraying. The center of the patch is intact, but they seem beat up bad. The rest are complete tears or half patches. Accuracy is minute of squirrel. One group is satisfactory in the bullseye, but there are the fliers that go high, bigger group up high. Probably 25 percent flier rate. Its good enough to hunting with till I have alittle more time. What should I try, more grease or 18 patches. Shooting precuts from TOW. Advise is appreciated

More lube might help. I don't buy precut patches. They are more expensive, you don't know how old they are and if prelubed also, they can start breaking down the fibers over time.
If your gun is fairly new, it's common for the lands to be sharp until the gun is well broke in. Stronger patches might also help but if the center of the patch is in good shape you don't have to worry about the outside.

Must be some mighty mean squirrels in your neighborhood.
30 grains of 3Fg powder in a .32 will give a muzzle velocity of around 1940 fps. :shocked2:

Have you tried using a 20 or 25 grain powder load?

That might be easier on your patches and be less likely to vaporize the squirrels. :hmm:

Fine pitting or frosting will shred a patch on both loading and firing. The lands and grooves become like a fine file edge. Barrels can pit quicker than you might think.

Para, I gotta Traditions Crockett .32 which shredded patches using 15 grains of fff 777. Took it apart and found everything inside very rough and cruddy. Barrel slugged 0.322 at the beach end and 0.328 at the muzzle (looks like they put it on backwards). I cast a lap and evened-up the id which also smoothed up the bore. The OD. was also 0.002" smaller at the breach than the muzzle.
anyway, after lapping, no more shredded patches. You may also want to check the compressed thickness of your patches and get some 0.001" thinner or so at the local fabric store - the ladies will lend some furtive glances to a fellow wandering around the store with a micrometer measuring cloth thickness - only do cotton. Good luck.

Back