• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

sight in distance?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davejohnson2

Pilgrim
Reaction score
just got my first muzzleloader, a CVA wolf, put a 3-9x40 scope on it, was wondering what would be a good range to sight in at? shooting 100 grains of powder and a 240 grain sabot. i was first thinking 75 yards, but would 100 be ok?

Welcome to the site just the same,,as was pointed out,this is a traditional site,,though you can discuss percussion as well as flint.
Don't be put off by your first answer to your first posting,just a rules refresher..Lots of good information here just not modern weapons.

Just in case anybody else finds this thread in a search, here's my two cents. When I'm deer/hog hunting, I 'may' take the opportunity to take something smaller/lesser. Which 'may' require a shot on a smaller target, such as a critter's head, which would have to be at ranges of 50yds and under for me to actually connect on it. So I sight my Lyman to be dead-on at 50yds. That way if I'm presented with a shot on a large game bird's head or neck, I can take it with confidence (been there, done that, hint, hint...nudge, nudge...say no more :wink:)

So you messed up on your first post, hope that doesn't cause you to drop out of this forum. Lots of very good info being posted here and you just may in time want a traditional rifle.

In answer to your question, the distance depends on how well you shoot and how far you plan to shoot. With my Tradtional rifles and iron sights I just sight them in a little high (1") at 50 yards and I try to get the deer with in the 50 yards if I can. with the sights you have you could go with 100 yards, but do shoot some at 25 & 50 yards so you know where it will impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back