• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sight Shape

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tx50cal

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just put on a semi buckhorn rear sight on my rifle. It has a thin brass blade up front. What zhape should I file the notch (square, u shaped, v). Thanks for the help.

I can't think of a more inefficient and unpractical sight shape for a rifle than buck horn of any configuration, although they look nice on a barrel.
They may be of some use on running game but a ghost ring aperture will beat them hands down for that purpose and overall accuracy to boot. Mike D.

With a thin front sight I would go with a shallow V. I have a hard time seeing a thin one so I prefer a square front. For these I like the square rear notch. Geo. T.

Back