• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

sighting in suggestions for lowering point of impact???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkmountainken

40 Cal.
Reaction score
just had a new rear sight put on my .45 flinter. shooting at 25 yards today, 8 shots all touching but 5 inches high. tried to hold front sight higher and tried different loads, all hit the SAME place. was shooting 65 grains fff, even tried 30 grains and still hit the same hole. really do not want to file sights as i always have bad luck with that, any suggestions on how to lower the point of impact???

You need to put the front sight tip LOWER on the rear sight to come down with impact. 2 other options: taller front sight or file the rear sight. If it were me... taller front to shoot lower and file the front sight. Lowering the powder charge does'nt show too much at close range.

I'm not sure if you held at the top of the rear sight, if so low ...although not my favorite hold will really lower the impact. BTW 65gr of 3f is good for 100yds. I'd lower to maybe 30-40gr depending on patch,ball lube combo.

really want to stick with 65, its the deer load i have used for years in this rifle. i had tried 30 just to see what would happen. soon as it cools down i'll be at the range!

New front sight, huh? Well, my rifle shot 12in high at 50yds when I first got it. I had to file down the REAR sight and re-cut the notch to get it where I want. I took my sight down 1/8in and that lowered the point of impact to about 1.5in at 50yds.

Of course, the other option is to get a new front sight now, that is taller.

Wow, if it is 5in high at 25yds, what is it doing at 50yds?

Last edited by a moderator:
not knowing what ya got on there now,,,might be easier/better to get a taller front...i say that cause hunting it'll be tough to think about sightin in an then burying sight too...sorta nice too have sights "right there" rather than "there then bury"..but not sure what yer used too..you'll get it back to where it was,,,soons this heat breaks! :shocked2:

Alway be sure to use the math formula for calculating the amount sight height change needed to move your group.
Do the math and uses your vernier calipers to get a visual of how much the change really is.
Go to: Wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_sight
scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the formula and explaintion how to use it in adjusting for accuracy section.
Ever shooter should have this knowledge handy, It will save you time and money.

Last edited by a moderator:
AdKen,

I have a rifle that I have purposely sighted for 6 o'clock hold. It is a rabbit gun and this lets me see the upper half of the rabbit when I touch off the shot. This arrangement cleanly takes off the head. That set up has been more effective in that I see what the rabbit is doing while I am getting ready to shoot.

But back to the mechanics of getting your rifle to shoot where you want it to shoot. Why not double up a piece of duct tape over your existing front sight and see how this does? Shoot for effect and then cut it until you know what height you need and then order that.

(Good to be writing to you again - been a long time)

YMHS,
CrackStock

The last gun I built changed point of impact for no apparent reason, about 3" high at 50yds.

I filed the top of the front sight flat, used a similar thickness of mild steel and fashioned a taller blade.

A few seconds with plumbers solder paste and a propane torch, I had plenty of room to file my sight down to get it shooting where it should be.

I tried to knock the soldered on blade off with a hammer so I could have faith in it, it didn't budge.

After a little dressing up with a file, I have to look very closely to find the solder joint.

There is really only 3 choices 1, use a taller front sight. 2 Use a lower rear sight. or 3. since you know your high, just aim lower. You said you are 5" high at 25 yards Where are you at 50 yards or 100 yards. You may just want to adjust your aim point. That'd my first choice. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back