• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sighting with both eyes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petemi

32 Cal.
Reaction score
It's hell to get old. I wear glasses because of that. A couple of years ago, I found, suddenly, I could barely see my sights with my right eye. I had a leak in the back of the retina which killed the rods anc cones in that area rusulting in a central blind spot in that eye. Using a scoped rifle, vision was acceptable, but, I WILL NOT EVER put a scope on my MLs.

I found that shooting with both eyes open, the left eye compensated for the loss in the right, and the results were more than just acceptable. It took some practice to get things in focus quickly, but I soon had the hang of it.

It turned out to be a great advantage in hunting moving game. Target acquisition is there right now. I'm passing this along thinking it may help some other oldtimers stay traditional.

I used to shoot competitively in college, and I always kept both eyes open during matches whether we fired iron sights or scope. Still do even when hunting.

Qualifying with a rifle in the Army got dicey. The instructor got puffy when I wouldn't close my left eye, so I told him he could "make an example" of me if I didn't shoot Expert with both eyes open. I did, and he was OK with it afterwards.

Tried squinting, using a patch, everything. Both eyes wide open is good for me. I just mentally block out my left eye and it's as if I'm blind in that eye as I squeeze the trigger.

I use both eyes for target fixing and aiming, and do the mental blackout thing once pressure begins on the trigger.

I think you're on to something good. :thumbsup:

I have done that with my scoped centerfire rifle and it works very well. I now have a big peep sight on my ML and have tried to get use to doing the same. Without much sucess I do have to say. I'm ok target shooting but hunting the thought is not there yet. :grin:

When younger I had a sneaky eye that kept closing or squinting when I was sighting, even in serious competition. Age and deteriorating eyesight finally beat the habit. It's just a whole bunch easier to find and focus on that front sight with both eyes open. I figure it has something to do with the whole depth perception thing using two eyes, while at the same time only seeing the blury rear sight with my dominant eye.

Coincidentally my scores have gone up with rifle, handgun and shotgun just like my coaches always harped at me.

Interesting to me that the military would be coaching one eye closed, cuzz you can sure see what's going on around your target bunches better with both eyes open.

hey petemi I have a friend that just had to take disablility retirement for the cond. you have do you know of any treetment for it?

petemi said:
... I'm passing this along thinking it may help some other oldtimers stay traditional.

:thumbsup: I think most of us old, old timers were taught to shoot with both eyes open right from the get go. Have done so for over 5 1/2 decades.

Had a girlfriend once, that I tried to make a hunter .
She shot with both eyes closed!! :rotf:

I shoot with both eyes whether it is handguns or rifles. Just feels more natural. :shocked2:

hey petemi I have a friend that just had to take disablility retirement for the cond. you have do you know of any treetment for it?

If it's macular degeneration, there is treatment if you get on it very early. Once the damage is done, I don't believe you can regain much sight.

Years ago, the marines were taught to shoot both eyes open, and to use a center hold on the target. I have always done both.

i shoot with both eyes open, and was invited to shoot pistol with the army team here in ny. they encourage both eyes open. drill sargeants are people juts like us, and sometimes they teach what they think is right, not what the army told them to. i know it sure seemed like mine did. i had three at once, and they were always putting their own spin on teaching us

All well and good and actually preferred unless one's off eye is dominant. If that's the case, a crossfire will occur or at the very least more time will be taken to acquire the target with the less dominant eye.

nw_hunter said:
Had a girlfriend once, that I tried to make a hunter .
She shot with both eyes closed!! :rotf:

My wife killed a turkey that way with the addition of tuning her head the other way. :rotf:

Whatever you do that works best is what you should leep doing. Sometimes shooting with both eyes open is a great way to eliminate eye fatigue. The real issue though - is what eye is your dominant eye :wink: .

What I have is called a retinopathy (spelling may be incorrect). The leak in the back of the retina was sealed with laser surgery.

I always was right eye dominant, but after having this condition, I'm not so sure the left didn't take over the job. (if that is even possible).

I don't know if anyone else plays the game, but at times my deer hunting takes me into tight cover, with very fast close-range shooting at running game. We're talking 25 yards being a very long shot here, and it's more like hunting grouse than big game. It'll break you of the one-eye habit in a New York minute. It's just a bunch easier to keep on the game and manage the sights with both eyes open. My weak eye still tends to start squinting when I'm on the range and have lots of time for shots, however.

Latest posts

Back