• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sights for a TC Renegade w/ GM .58 bbl?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glazer1972

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a TC Rengade that wears a GM .58 32" 1 in 70" Twist Barrel. I am trying to decide what to do with the sights on it. I am considering either the Lyman 57 SML, Williams Foolproof or the TC hunter peep sight. Which do you guys think is the best setup for a tang mounted sight?

The only other thing I have thought about is replacing the rear sight on the barrel with a Williams WGOS (guide open sight) with a "V" blade which would give a similar sight picture to what express sights on most dangerous game rifles have.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

I have the Williams front and rear almost as you describe on my Hastings rifled slug barrel. I opted for the "U" notch instead of the "V". It's a good set-up out to 120 yards, which is my outside, best possible opportunity range for that gun. They're great for moving game close in, too. I put the same on my pump .22LR so I get the same picture with that rifle.

I put the tang mounted T/C peep sight on my Renegade. First off, it makes one accurate shooting setup. The big problems happens early in the morning and dusk when the shadows are the worst. It does make sighting into these shadows hard to do. During normal light, the accuracy with the peep is hard to beat. From a bench rest, the accuracy is outstanding.

Often sights are influenced by what you're planning to use the rifle for...

If it's hunting, the open sights from TC are pretty hard to beat in all woods conditions...peep sights are awfully difficult in low light, which also happens to be the best possible times for seeing / getting a shot at a nice buck.

If it's just weekend range practice, I like to practice with what I hunt...but if you're going to do serious target work for targets sake, then a finer front sight is usually more precise than the typical larger hunting front sight

With most peep sights, you can drill out the hole to a larger size to get more light.
It's a trade off though. The bigger the hole, the less accurately you can aim the rifle.

Also, one of the advantages of the peep sight is the depth of field your eye can focus on is greatly improved.
In other words, looking thru the small opening allows your eye to see near things (the front sight) and far off things (the deers chest) clearly at the same time.
The larger the hole in the rear peep sight is, the less this depth of field effect works.

I use TC peep sights on several of my TCs and can say they are well made and are easy to install.
Remembering that I do 90% of my shooting at targets, the only disadvantage with them that I've found is some rifle matches will not allow anything but open sights. Oh, and Jim Bridger and Joe Meeks didn't use them. (Not so sure about Liver Eating Johnson though.) ::

I plan on hunting and informal target practice with it.

I failed to mention that if I did go with the peep sights that I would probably remove the aperture to hunt with.

Is the aperture removable from the tc tang sight? I know the others are.

Yes you can take the main part of the peep sight out. It screws right out, then you still have the ghost ring part which in my opinion is too open. I use that when I put the .62 caliber smoothbore barrel on the rifle and shoot bird shot....

I just read an interesting article from American Rifleman on metallic sights. They were talking about adding a peep sight to your shooting glasses to give you the depth of field. You make it out of brass and clip it to the corner of your glasses so it is only used while shooting. An interesting thought that I may just have to try out.

Stick on disks, for use on your glases are available and have been avalible since the 1930s. You can buy them through adds in the American rifleman, the NRA publication, or Muzzle Blasts, The National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association publication. They are also available through adds in many of the popular shooting magazines.

Each of these publications rehashes the peepsight situation about once each year. The manufacturers "rediscover" the old models they have produced for decades about every decade(Lyman has been producing some of their designs since the 1800s), and new shooters jump on the bandwagon and replace the rediculious sighting equipment that the manufacturers send out on their shooting tools.

We do it about once each month, as new members "discover" what the military learned in the 1930s, buffalo hunters learned in the 1870s, and the Creedmore shooters learned in the 1860s. Everyone shoots better with peep sights, wheather they believe it or not. You see no "open sights" on the olympic firing ranges.

Oddly, since peep sights are not considered "traditional", only being used on crossbows since 1100ad and on jager rifles and target smoothbores cince the 1500s, peep sights are not allowed in "traditional" matches in the NMLRA. We get around this by using "buckhorn" sights with horns that curve until they almost meet, forming a large circle which we use as a peep.

Even a large peep apreture is more accurate than most open sights, and faster to line up. You do not look at it, you ignore it and only "see" the front sight, just like a flash sight picture on a combat pistol. If you are looking for the peep, in hazy light, your gun does not fit you properly and you are not using the sights correctly. You should never realize that the rear sight exists.

The size of the apeture actually controls how widely you are capable of missing. Theoretically, your shot can only miss the target by the width of the apeture. It is impossible to place your shot out of the field of view with the peep sight. If the Peep is the size of the bull, and you can see the bull in the hole, you cannot miss the bull unless you jerk the sights out of line with your trigger pull. That is why the target peeps are so small. They are precisely sized to sourround the bull, with only a minute ring of light, at the range being shot.

Technically, the only way someone can shoot worse with peep sights than with open sights is if they are simply not trying to shoot well! Peep sights become almost a necessity as our eyes age. There are some really neet ones out there for "primitive guns".

:m2c:

THESE are the finest open hunting & target sights there are, bar NONE. They are very accurate as well as being the fastest, allowing a good rifle to shoot into 1 1/2" or less at 100meters (109yards) for 5 shot groups, off the bench. The group is ALWAYS a ragged hole, 2" in dia.or less. If anyone tells you they are for shooting 25yards only on large dangerous game, they have no idea what they are talking about as they've never used them. My brother used a rear wide shallow "V" for his target longrifle for many years, and was continually able, in those days, the 80's and 90's to shoot 3" offhand groups at 100 meters with his 'Express" sight with fine bead at the front.
: Only the 1st two are cut for the shallow "V" as I never got around to doing the others as they weren't used for hunting. 150 yards was my longest 'set' max range for Moose.
:
Rear%20Sight.jpg

:
Front%20Sight.jpg

Back