• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Silica gel packets in barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blowinsmoke

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This might be s dumb question but i was just thinking, would silica gel packets in the barrel and maybe one in then pan help keep moisture away? Or am i just wasting my time looking through boxes for these little packets??

You don't want to do that. Silica gel packs - the larger sized ones used in industrial applications - recommend clearly that they not be put in direct contact with steel since they will attract moisture (that's what they do) and cause rust to the surfaces they contact. Clean your gun properly and oil it after cleaning and you will not have rust.

No............ Don't EVEN do that. You are pulling moisture TO the packet which means you are pulling moisture INTO the barrel = rust.......

You want the bore Clean, Dried, and a Rust Inhibitor applied.
The best rust inhibitor I know for longterm storage is RIG. If you find any, you better buy it cause it won't be around long as it is no longer made. :(

Thanks guys.. I dont know how i didnt think of that but you probably saved me from ruining my FL. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back