• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sizing-wash it out or no?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjac

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Would it make no difference as long as you consistently used one method?

TIA

I wash it out. I often find cloth that isn't quite as thick as I'd like, so I wash it in hot water then check it for thickness. It tends to shrink and thicken just a tiny bit. I also spit patch when at the range, and often when hunting, so wash it out in a machine, or wash it out in my mouth, it wouldn't matter to me.

LD

You have to wash the sizing out because it will not absorbe(sp) any lube. The sizing is a starch to help them wrap it around into a bolt. Wash it warm water with a dash of detergent then dry it in the dryer.

Rifleman1776 said:
Yes, wash it out.
Leaving in adds another questionable variable to the situation.
Washing also softens and fluffs the material.
And, if you spit lube, it tastes awful. :barf:

I agree. But line dry instead of using the dryer, this keeps it from getting as shredded at the edges.

I don't bother. But then I don't use spit patches either. If I did I would wash it for sure. The fabric with sizing takes up my Liquid Wrench patch lub with no problem.

Best to try some both ways and make up your own mind then you can tell folks how it works in Tenn.
We know it taste bad in Ark. doesn't absorb in Ala. gets thick in Maryland. In Utah ,just like in Maryland, when I chew it, no bad taste, absorbs the spit and doesn't seem any thicker and shoots wonderfully so that's what I do. Won hundreds of matches with unwashed spit patches.
Deadeye

Wash it in hot once.
Dry it on hot in the dryer.

It does appear to get "thicker" or fluff, but the "crushed" measurement stays the same.
And that's what happens when fabric is placed between the ball an the bore, it's squeezed pretty tight, or "crushed".

Deadeye said:
Best to try some both ways and make up your own mind then you can tell folks how it works in Tenn.

I have and it seems to make no difference especially to the deer in east TN.
I have been reading a bunch lately and invariably washing the sizing out is mentioned. I supposed I should have asked, why? Nevertheless, my question has been answered. Thanks to all who replied.

Dixie Flinter said:
Rifleman1776 said:
Yes, wash it out.

I agree. But line dry instead of using the dryer, this keeps it from getting as shredded at the edges.

Just be careful to wash the entire sheet. Do not cut into pieces first. Ask why I know.

mjac said:

TIA

For me it depends on what kind of lube you're using. If it's a "wet" lube, I don't think it matters all that much.

If you're using a "grease" lube, fuggedabout unwashed. The grease sits right on top and never gets into the fabric.

I wash mine for convenience, and because I mostly use grease lubes. Good advice here on how to wash and dry.

I've always washed mine. Do the full sheet, and line dry it if possible.

Just one guy's free advice, and doubtless well worth the price!

BrownBear said:
mjac said:

TIA

For me it depends on what kind of lube you're using. If it's a "wet" lube, I don't think it matters all that much.

If you're using a "grease" lube, fuggedabout unwashed. The grease sits right on top and never gets into the fabric.

I wash mine for convenience, and because I mostly use grease lubes. Good advice here on how to wash and dry.

My no difference tests were with a "wet" lube. Your point is good a one. Thanks.

I onetime bought two batches of material and washed one ( thought I washed both). I then used the one that wasn't washed. I didn't notice too much difference while using that material till about the fourth shot. I then had problems loading, so swabbed the bore. I got the stickiest stuff out of there, which I think was sizing ( my wife tells me that it is a starch). I can't speak for all the materials out there but when I washed that material it did not leave that residue in the bore again. For the small trouble it is to throw the cloth in the washer I think it's worth it to forgo future problems, which some others have already stated.

flintlock62 said:
Dixie Flinter said:
Rifleman1776 said:
Yes, wash it out.

Just be careful to wash the entire sheet. Do not cut into pieces first. Ask why I know.

Yep, it is really hard loading with rolled up little tootsie rolls for patches. :rotf:

Grullaguy said:
Yep, it is really hard loading with rolled up little tootsie rolls for patches. :rotf:

Mmmmmm...Tootsie Rolls. :bow: :grin:

My intro to BP and ML knowledge came from those old Black Powder Handbooks by Sam Fadala and he specifically mentioned to wash the sizing out, so I always have. Never tried a patch with it still in. I can see though how it could perhaps gum up the bore after a certain number of shots, being a starch. :hmm: I do, however, like the feel of the material better after washing when it gets all soft and fluffy. :hatsoff:

Back