• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Skinner/Scalper w/sheath

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonybones

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I purchased a small, very old Sheffield meat cleaver from an English lady's garage sale. The wood handle was shot, the blade in good condition. This is mounted in the front of a buffalo jawbone handle with elk wrap and pinned with a brass pin.

Injuns frequently used carptued items of leather fior this and that, one being knife sheaths made from cavalry boots. I didn;t have access to a real pair, a local friend who is a reinactor gave me a wore out pair of reproduction cavalry boots, this is what the sheath is made from. I will be beading the flap at top and also attaching a huge abalone concho. Enjoy!

tonybones2112

tonybones2112

Okie Dokie, I jumped through the hoops, put the pics in Photobucket, did the images icon thing, pics don;t show up. What did I do wrong? Is there a size limit?

Thanks

Bones

I dont think its the size . theres probly some other step being left out. When you go to photo bucket go to your album. Then hold the arrow over the photo you want but dont click on it. A box will appear with several options clik on direct link then go back to the forum and click the Icon the first time you click it it will ask if you want to allow the site. say yes. The second time it will give you a box to paste . Do that and only do one picture at a time , preview it then repeat. Good luck hope this helped.

Sounds very interesting, looking forward to seeing the pics. I've got a pair of old riding boots that are pretty much unwearable lying around the house and you have also given me a great idea for a way to have them re-born, thanks very much!

Tony Howard said:
Okie Dokie, I jumped through the hoops, put the pics in Photobucket, did the images icon thing, pics don;t show up. What did I do wrong? Is there a size limit?
Thanks
Bones
There are 4 linkage choices that drop down under a photo in Photobucket.
Simply copy & paste the bottom string of info into a post here...the string you want starts and ends with image tags:

tall boots like that can make a pretty interesting arrow quiver too when pieced together from parts
:hmm:

I read once that at the little big horn all the slain troopers boot tops were cut off and taken by the indians to use as moccasin soles and other things too I'm sure. Anyway that knife is way cool , nice work !

Thanks Claude, I'm used to uploading from my computer, let's see if the sheath shows up:

e9caffd2.jpg

Claude, it's not 1870 and a person can take black leather and say, okay, in imitation of cavalry boots as a sheath...What's funny is instead of authentic cavalry boots(only someone like Gary Hendershott would have something like REAL ones) a friend gave me a pair of wore out repro/reinactor boots, and like a real brave, I made a sheath from them. I have leftover leather and plan more sheaths after this fashion. Go to thrift shoops, flea markets, garage sales, look around and ask yourself, what would an Indian brave/mountain man be able to make use of? It's all about having fun and enjoying life. I have post traumatic stress and other medical troubles, what I posted here with Claude and the rest of you all's help is my painkillers, my heroin, my drug of choice is working with my hands. Thanks to each and every one of you, and enjoy.

Fisher, being part Indian myself(I'm not out to avenge Wounded Knee or Sand Creek) I would love to be part of a reinactor thing, only from the Indian/half-breed side. Tack and saddle shops are a good place to look, as I said above, look around and ask yourself, what at this garage sale/flea market would an Indian/mountain man find use for? If I need a specific bone/horn/leather, I use Eidenies or Moscow Hide & Furs. I gave a nice English lady $5 for that old cleaver, had a buffalo jawbone laying around from Moscow, had the boots, you all see the results. The other half of the cleaver blade that was left over was perfectly shaped for a tomahawk, I can't wait to post pictures of it once it's done. There is a great deal of peace can be found in working with your hands, I promote hand crafts. I know many people who stick things in their mouths, up their nose, and in their arms would find a new drug if they'd just tap into their own creativity.

Yoeman, pouches, sheaths, as Birdman said also, quivers, anything made from leather would suffice. Be sure and show us what you have made,

Bones

Did the metal on this find already have that dark coloration? Is it painted or did you alter the metal in some way to loose the bright shiny steel often found on kitchen cutlery?

NG, the cleaver was factory blued. It had a little surface rust, scum, apparently a few spots where a soft drink had been spilled on it. The handle was toast. Once handled and finished, last thing I did to the knife was give it a good buff with 600 paper and then 000 steel wool, then a couple rounds of Birchwood Casey Super Blue. The stain/aging of the handle is First B/C wlnut stain then a buff as with the blade with 600 and 000 steel wool and then a coat of Tandy leather dye. I had to mix the "buckskin" color from Desert Tan and Bright Yellow water based leather dye. I hit it with some bear fat and rubbed the daylights out of it. It looks very accurately aged.

Bones

The patina on the handle is excellent. Nice mellow yellow like old ivory.have you ever considered using plum brown on your blades? I like the look of it. I'll post a couple pics later on this forum.

I've got a huge dagger/fighting knife I browned the blade, It seems to give an overall rusty, unused look I'm not sure I like. I saw your brown blades, great work Fisher.

Bones

Tony Howard said:
I've got a huge dagger/fighting knife I browned the blade, It seems to give an overall rusty, unused look I'm not sure I like. I saw your brown blades, great work Fisher.

Bones
Just out of curiosity , did you oil the blade after you browned it? Because that usually will take away the rusty look ,Also I apply the plum brown to mine several times , each time it gets a little darker.

Fisher, I did seceral sessions of browning it and I did oil it adter. The prblem is I am quite an enthusiastic cold-bluer.

Bones

Back