• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Skinner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesG

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Forged this knife from a piece of 5160 steel,handle is elk antler and in front of it piece of walnut.

Picture2395.jpg

Now that's an attractive knife. How did you stabilize the pithy core of the Elk antler? Maybe drill/scrape out and fill with hard stuff?
R

JamesG said:
Forged this knife from a piece of 5160 steel,handle is elk antler and in front of it piece of walnut.

Picture2395.jpg

Nice James! :thumbsup:

Davy

Thanks all . The pit was pretty solid so I soaked it in lindseed oil and let it dry .

Good looking blade, James! hard to judge the size with the powder horn behind it which looks smallish like a priming horn. Anyway care to tells us the skinner's length?

Very nice! I really like the antler handle, and the walnut sets it off nicely. I have some 5160 barstock I'll forge someday, after I get some more practice on the 1080.

BillinOregon--there's a guy up your way that sells 5160 bar stock if you're looking for some. I can get you his contact info if you like.

Very pleasing lines on your skinner. I love a nice wide blade. Your use of walnut adds a nice contrast to the antler. Do you have a sheath? Ya gotta have some pants for that skinner! :thumbsup:

Thats a fine lookin knife like your handle and the blade looks like it should work well.

Thanks all, The steel is bar stock that I traded with a friend.

Total Leng. 11 1/4 in long.
Blade:Little under 6 half in. long
Blade width of the blade. 1 3/4 in.
Handle:1 3/4 long.

Back