• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Slim Girl" A Brennan rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron LaClair

In Rembrance
Reaction score
I posted some pictures on the photo forum with some of my rifles made by Judson Brennan in the late 70's. Here's a sweet little "Poorboy" that I talked Jud into making for me a year ago. Jud doesn't make many "plain" guns anymore but I couldn't afford anything fancy. Plain or not this little rifle is a shooter. It has a .36 swamped Getz barrel with a LH Siler lock. Fit and finish is flawless but the most outstanding feature is it's slim lines. I could have named her "Olive Oil", Popeye's girlfriend because she's long and skinny. I have a .32 that Jud made back in the 70's and I like that caliber for squirrels but Jud talked me into this Getz barrel in .36 and I'm well pleased with it.

Brennan.36cal.JPG

Slim_Girl%201.JPG

The test targets that Jud sent with the rifle

Slim_Girl%205.JPG

Slim_Girl%204.JPG

Very nice. :thumbsup: It doesn't get much better than that.
I'm thinkin I'll have to spend more time in the squirrel woods with my .32 this year and maybe a bit less in my treestand with my bow... :hmm:

That's a nice rilfe~ I may build a Lancaster with a 32 or 36cal swamped 42 or 44"......it will be a real challenge to get that RR into the right place!
I would like to see a picture of the muzzle please.....it'll show me some slim tricks~

Very nice looking rifle. Looks like the tree rat didn't mind the straight shooting either. I would love to have a small caliber rifle, but can't make my mind up between .32 and .36 cal.

It makes me wish I had my .40 done but it will be a couple of months. Thats a very nice rifle, Btw I did'nt know any state had a spring squirrel season. I have to wait till Oct. down here.

armakiller said:
Btw I did'nt know any state had a spring squirrel season. I have to wait till Oct. down here.

Squirrels have an early spring litter and then another in summer. Kentucky has an early season open from 5/18 - 6/21. The fall season starts in mid August.

I lived most of my adult life outside KY and don't know when they started this early season.

I have yet to hold a rifle that Jud built that didn't feel "perfect". The results of your shots just confirm this! I didn't know that Jud made any plain rifles and I'm sure that I'll never be able to afford one of his purdy ones!

He doesn't make plain rifles anymore but I had something he wanted and we made a trade.

By the way, the picture with the squirrel was from last fall, there's no spring season here in Michigan

I once had a slim .45 Po' Boy flinter that was signed JB on the barrel, nothing else. It was made OK but nothing special. It had an El Cheapo lock that had been tuned and shot OK. In reality it shot fine and I liked it. Wish I had never traded off.
Did/does he sign his rifles like that?: Just JB

NWTF Longhunter said:
He doesn't make plain rifles anymore but I had something he wanted and we made a trade.

By the way, the picture with the squirrel was from last fall, there's no spring season here in Michigan

I'd a thought you'd a ran outa trucks by now :rotf:

Latest posts

Back