• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small Bore Flinter for Target / Squirrel ???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a long generous squirrel season here in Michigan. While rabbits are probably the most popular small game for most hunters, squirrels are underrated and underhunted in my opinion. I've hunted them for a lot of years with a .32 flinter with great success. Probably a .36 would be good also but regardless I think every man should have a good "Squirrel gun" in his arsenal. This fat black squirrel was taken the last day of 04, a good way to end the year IMO. :winking:
blacksquirrel.JPG

.32 here, I have a Traditions "Crocket" it is a very accurate gun. I have only owned it since xmas hunted once and I'm three squrills for three shots range was 35' 48 ' and one at 75 feet.

Hey tcheek, we live just a few miles apart. I odered a Crockett from Mid-South, and they are on backorder right now. An e-mail from them indicated I might have it in another couple weeks. Its for my 9 yr old. What is the lenght of pull on them?

Thanks,

Gregg

Anyone ever use a .36 caliber MAXI ball in their 36 caliber flinters?

I am very intrigued by the potential of the .36 Maxi that I have seen, and it certainly looks capable of taking deer sized game where it is legal.

Also wondering what kind of rifling twist rate (1-48?) would be necessary to stabilize the bullet since most .36 caliber rifles are ball shooters.

Kenneth

JAVA i have a crockrt i want to let go with molds bag and horn if its for a yungin will make it reasonable vinny nj pm me

Vinny,

Sent you a PM. It is for my nine year old Son. When I get a gun for him, then my two boys and myself will have a complete arsenal to use. My 13 year old can already handle a few of my guns. I borrowed back a T/C Hawken from my Dad which I put together for him in 84. Its been adorning his wall for years. He cheated and bought a couple in-lines. :youcrazy:

Gregg

Nice pic there Longhunter. I haven't been out for squirrel in a while with the .32. They extended the season this year so there is still hope.

I posted this one before, I think, but you got me worked up.
f64009ab.jpg

Anyone ever use a .36 caliber MAXI ball in their 36 caliber flinters?

I am very intrigued by the potential of the .36 Maxi that I have seen, and it certainly looks capable of taking deer sized game where it is legal.

Also wondering what kind of rifling twist rate (1-48?) would be necessary to stabilize the bullet since most .36 caliber rifles are ball shooters.

Kenneth
Believe it or not a 38 special hollow base wadcutter works great and is very accurate.

Believe it or not a 38 special hollow base wadcutter works great and is very accurate.

Alright, ya got my attention...

I assume you seated the wadcutter, hollow base down on powder, but what powder charges did you try?

How easy or difficult were they to load? Does the slug glide down the barrel with enough resistance to stay seated on top of the powder charge?

Have you ever tried cast SWCs in your .36?

I reload for .38/.357 and have a wide assortment of both cast and swaged bullets on hand.

Congradulations Longhunter! What a perfect way to end the year! I have a .36 calibre Cabelas/Pedersoli Blue ridge rifle in flint.That's a great pic! Tell us about your gun. :thumbsup:

Alright, ya got my attention...

I assume you seated the wadcutter, hollow base down on powder, but what powder charges did you try?

How easy or difficult were they to load? Does the slug glide down the barrel with enough resistance to stay seated on top of the powder charge?

Have you ever tried cast SWCs in your .36?

I reload for .38/.357 and have a wide assortment of both cast and swaged bullets on hand.

Hollow base down. I lube the wadcutter before loading. My daughter took several exotics and several hogs with 40 grains of 3F in her TC seneca. 30 grains of 3F will work also I just wanted her to have a clean kill. ET

Back