• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small Cal.Deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

410-er

50 Cal.
Reaction score
In my state it is not permitted but was wondering if someone has ever taken a deer with a 32 or 36 and what was the charge and projectile?

I realize that what I'm about to say isn't in reply to your exact question. One: as far as I know, anything under a .40 caliber is illegal for taking deer in every state in the Union, and in some the minimum is .45 (I know of none with a .50 caliber minimum). Two: I know of no one, personally, who's taken a deer or any other relatively large animal with either of the calibers you specify. It was done, I would assume fairly frequently, in earlier days. Three: taking your question at face value (since I'm also curious about a number of things I have no intentions of actually trying), taking a deer with a .32 or .36 wouldn't be all that big a deal -- but, then, under the proper circumstances (and, no, I've never done this, either), neither is taking one with a .22 LR. Close range and shot placement are critical. In the muzzleloading equivalents of the .22, as heavy a powder charge as would burn completely in your barrel and give decent accuracy would be desirable. I don't play with maximum charges in my squirrel guns (a .32 and a .36), but I'd guesstimate, oh, maybe 40 to 50 grains of 3F. But, like I say, I don't know about top-end in these little guys. The only reason I'm venturing to guess is that I'm sure no one would be so disrespectful of the law and the animal to try taking a mature deer with a caliber known to be utterly underpowered for the task. :grin:

I have never taken a deer with those calibers either, although I often have pondered over this very question. I was told that in the old days they would increase the powder charge and take deer and black bear with the small calibers.

I also read somewhere about the prase "loaded for bear", they said that it refered to loading two patched roundballs over a double charge of powder.

I have heard of stories from different states of deer being poached with a .22.
I have killed steers and hogs with a .22 Magnum. In fact, the FDA has a regulation stating that it is acceptable to use a "small caliber round" to put an animal down to butcher. Just make an X between the ears and eyes. Now you could wait on a steer to look at you, but getting a deer to look at you....that's another story.

I've searched high and low and every place in between for anything that Texas parks and wildlife has to say on the matter, and can find nothing on the minimum cliber allowed to shoot a whitetail deer with as to regarding muzzle loaders. the onlything they address is it has to be a single shot, and no revolving cylinder is allowed under the special muzzle loader season. I would, under the right circumstances, use either of my .32's to whack one, but it would have to under the right circumstances. A .32 will kill em flat out dead.

Ive posted the same question, only because im sure my little 32 would do the job. As for acctualy trying. That wont happen. But I have shot my 32 with 50 gr 3F and a 115 gr Conicle made for a 32-20 and accuracy was very acceptable at 50 yds.

I went to texas parks and wildlifes web page and the smallest caiber we can use here in texas is a .45

Do you have a link sir? I saw, some years ago, that it was .40, same number as they have for a bow. I know here in Texas you can use any center fire, from a Hornet on up. I'd take a .32 over a hornet anyday of the week. thanksa for the info!

Here is a copy of the definition of a Muzzle loader copied directly from the TPWD web site.

Muzzleloader: Any firearm that is loaded only through the muzzle. Note: A cap and ball firearm in which the powder and ball are loaded into a cylinder is not a muzzleloader.

Hope this clears up any confusion, my .58 Kodiak double is hungry! Opening day (Jan. 7th) is on it's way. :thumbsup:

Here are some interesting ballistics on the .36 cal. according to Lyman.

In a 37", 1:66" twist barrel, RB, 65 grns, Goex 3F, 2272 fps, 800 ft lbs at barrel, 152 ft lbs at 100 yards.

The ft. lbs. of engergy starts out fine but as you can see it is poor at 100 yards. I would really consider my shot on a deer before I pull the trigger. Probably under 30 yrds for a humane clean kill.

I have never tried it, but killing a deer with my 36 would be no problem out to 100 yards with proper shot placement. With a max factory load of 60 grains of 3f, it will still dimple plate and completely splatter the ball at 100 yards. It is not a 22 by any comparison. At 100 yards it will put a 1 inch hole in the other side of a coyote if you hit bone going in with 60 grains of 3f 777, and that is with roundball, not the conical.

I had a very close friend who passed last year. His favorit deer rifle was a 32 cal. rimfire Win. lever action (anyone remember them?)which had counted for a couple of hundred whitetails. Its shot placement folks, and he could place his shots. If you can, a 32 or 36 PRB will do the job.

PROHIBITED ACTS

uses a firearm that utilizes rimfire ammunition or a
muzzleloader smaller than .45 caliber in taking deer
off there web page

here is the link
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_112a_hunt_regulation_prohibited_acts.pdf

I wouldn't use those calibers on a deer either but....

Here in Arizona, there is a minimum draw weight on bows, a minimum size on the broadhead, and a maximum gauge on shotguns. Rimfire rounds are prohibited for use on big game, but the only minimum caliber specified is for using handguns on buffalo... no smaller than .41 Mag, and a cartridge length of no less than two inches.

let me try the link again

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications
/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_112a_hunt_
regulation_prohibited_acts.pdf

Ol' Dan'l Boone's rifle was 27 cal and I guess he took about anything on four legs with it and several two legged critters. I doubt if he did it at 100 yds tho.

TN Hick

Rebel said:
Can't you still use a .22 rimfire Magnum for Javelina?
Let's see... I have the reg right here.... yep, you're right: for javelina you can use .22 rimfire magnum rifles and 5mm rimfire magnum rifles. You can also use them, plus .17 rimfire magnum rifles, on turkey. And there are no restrictions on methods for taking predatory non-game animals (coyotes, etc).

Thanks TXLongshot, The line I quoted came from the general regulations and are minimum for the entire state.

BUT if you hunt public lands (Old type II ) there are extra special restrictions which apply to you. Such as no buckshot, Hunter orange required, the muzzleloader bore restriction and many more.

Never did get that law degree! So my advise is what you paid for it, Nothing!

Take care all and good hunting.

Hank

Back