• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SMALL CALIBER RIFLE BUILD

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I bought a .29 caliber x 39 inch barrel because the opportunity came up. Now I have to turn that purchase and the desire for a flintlock squirrel rifle into reality.

39 inches probably lends itself better to a half-stock cap lock but I already have several of those.

The Zachariah Luster rifle plans from MLBS look interesting but not sure if a 39 inch barrel will make it look disproportioned. Also wondering if a Bogle rifle could be scaled down around this barrel.

Anyone know of other flintlock rifle designs I should consider?

Jeff

Recently finished this .29, 3/4” barrel, 41-1/2” length.
Used the Luster plan for inspiration, but still made my own drawings to fit my personal dimensions. 39” barrel length will look fine, just keep the gun skinny.
Thanks RobertE. If you have pics of your Luster inspired rifle I’d like to see it.

Jeff

Beautiful rifle RobertE. The open grain in that stock is a look that I can appreciate.

Do you happen to know the weight?

Jeff
Jeff, Just a bit over 7lbs. I like open grain on walnut Southern guns. Don’t look right to me highly finished.
I wasn’t trying for a copy of the Luster gun, it’s just one of the only plans I’ve found with a skinny barrel so I used wrist measurements, etc., to draw my own.
Been getting a load worked up, think I’m close. Shot this target a few days ago. Six shots, first was low so filed a little more off sight, (was shooting quite a bit low the first time out). Next five were shots were pretty good,(two in one hole), 2” target on a paper plate at 25 yards off a sandbag, .285 ball, .020 cotton drill patch, 50/50 Dawn and water.
Not sure why my pics didn’t post right first time.

Attachments

• IMG_2446.jpeg
    IMG_2446.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
You could shorten the forestock transition to keep the barrel in proportion
Pete G.

As I am not a builder (yet) I had to think about what you meant. It makes sense to me now and I appreciate the advice.

Given the low cost of the plans for the Luster rifle I think I'll order them and proceed.

Thanks all,

Jeff

Hello all,

I bought a .29 caliber x 39 inch barrel because the opportunity came up. Now I have to turn that purchase and the desire for a flintlock squirrel rifle into reality.

39 inches probably lends itself better to a half-stock cap lock but I already have several of those.

The Zachariah Luster rifle plans from MLBS look interesting but not sure if a 39 inch barrel will make it look disproportioned. Also wondering if a Bogle rifle could be scaled down around this barrel.

Anyone know of other flintlock rifle designs I should consider?

Jeff
Oddly I once got given a 290 rifled barrel stamped ' G Tyler' slim Oct probably Cricks & Hollers depression job at a guess but no squirrels in NZ so shortened it to suit a' Baltic Bird rifle ' That looked elegant in an Auction Catalogue for the Visser Collection lot 160 I used a small Siler but made a curved Cock typical on these but giveing a much greater throw of the flint to Steel impac.t I suppose late 17th early 18 c its charge a huge 20 grains its ball under the 290 when patched . a quiet shoot forever pleasant affair ,Whether Ide say such a rifle is the way to go ,but its an alternate that sprang to mind .
Regards Rudyard

Latest posts

Back