• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

small calliber?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GerryL

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hi folks-
I've been shooting a Renegade with a .32 GM barrel for a few years now. It makes for a hefty gun, but I've done well with it in target shoots. I have an interest in going even smaller. Does anyone make a .25 or .29 muzzleloader or barrel? Not for the Renegade; I'd go with either a kit or complete gun. It seems like I've seen at least a .29 in the past, but I can't find anything in my net searches.
-Gerry

There are discussions including construction details and shooting results with 25's and 29's on a couple of the other sites. Looks like custom builds with barrels from reknowned contemporary barrel makers which are currently available.

Rayle makes .25 and .30 is straight and swamped. I have one of each in swamped. The .25 is a blast to shoot. The .30 is not in a gun yet. Stonewall Creek Outfitters sometimes has them is stock.

I've wondered about getting a rifle with a bad bbL. and boring it to accept a .22 barrel liner. Liners are cheap and easy and install. Could also use a .22 bbl. as a liner.
Anyone tried this?

Ozark,
I built my grandson a .22 cal muzzleloader a number of years ago. I did use a contemporary octagon barrel that we drilled and sleeved with a liner then filed off all markings. It is a percussion halfstock in about 1/3 scale. A .22 long rifle case makes a dandy powder measure or you can shoot it with a percussion cap. Skirted lead pellets work fine as a projectile without grease or patch. It will put pellets through a 3/4 pine board at about 30 feet.
Mark

Many years ago, I had a 17 caliber muzzleloader cobbled to gether from an H&A 22 take down action and a pellet gun barrel. The firing pin of the breech block struck thhe percussion cap with the nipple thhreaded in line to the breech of thhe barrel. A cross pin held the barrel in the action. We used a brass rod for a ram rod. We actually put some powder in it, like maybe a flintlock primer charger load of 3fg. It wasn't very accurate past 20 feet.

Latest posts

Back