• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small deer & big fish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is what I'm good at!! Catchin big fish :grin: and shootin small deer. :( :redface:
Caught these on my lunch break at work yesterday. Five of them over 12 inches... :)
HPIM2203.jpg

Nice and I would assume they are what the yankees call crappie because in alabama we call'm a mess of perch(same fish)!Most people around here batter luv to dip & deep fat fry.I like to scale and saltn'pepper,butter and bake(learned that one from my thai ex-wife)! :grin:Thanks for post'n. :)

Ok... really this really makes me mad... I'm stuck up here in northern Maryland.... only thing biting is eels... and you're catching crappie, white perch, Sac-au-Lait, or whatever you want to call them.... oh man this is a piss'er

Not true, my friend caught 11 bass and 4 pike (pickerel) in 2 hours in MD two weeks ago.

sniper68 said:
This is what I'm good at!! Catchin big fish :grin: and shootin small deer. :( :redface:
Caught these on my lunch break at work yesterday. Five of them over 12 inches... :)
HPIM2203.jpg

Looks like some darn good eatin ta me! :thumbsup:

Davy

BBQ eel is good... When I have Sushi. I have a buddy that cooks them at home... nasty.

I'd like to know where he's catching his fish in MD... come on Spring !!!!

sniper68 said:

Now where do you work that you can go fishing during your lunch?

I was a job there too... :grin:

We call em "Specks" up here. They're kind of a soft fleshed fish. I prefer Gills or Bluegills for eating

Those are some dandy specks...they don't get that big around here.

Here's some proper brain food.

Job_for_BogDog.JPG

Musketman said:
sniper68 said:

Now where do you work that you can go fishing during your lunch?

I was a job there too... :grin:

I think he works at a fish hatchery :hmm: .

Thats a nice mess of crappie, I'm jealous. Got my fishin license last week, waitin for ice-off. My boat is still covered with snow.... :(

Across the street from my work(6 miles from my house) is a Chris-Craft dealer with "covered docks". :grin: I fish there when the weather turns bad and the boat owners give it up. Thats usually October thru March. Its almost like a fish hatchery, 20 ta 30 crappie is more or less the norm for an hours fishing. Bass and blue gill can be a real pain!! :haha: They even keep the water open when the river ices over, using airerators. Some folks think I'm the craziest and best fisherman they ever saw.. :bow: I just don't tell them bout the covered docks in all.. :rotf: :rotf: Here's a couple pictures of my 9 year old Grandaughter/Daughter(don't ask)....
HPIM2200.jpg
HPIM2027.jpg

If you like bluegills you need to catch them through the ice. Alot of fun and the best fish you ever ate.
6d4d.jpg

Berk

I'm heading over to Hawaii next week.... I've got a 8hr fishing trip set up.... I'll show you fish when I get back !!!!!

I told the captain I wanted to catch (1) fish but I wanted it to be the bigget fish he's ever seen.... he reply was "Well it is Whale season out here"..... great....

A little Public thanks to "Walks Alone" for all the info about the island....

Spitfire,
Your right....Yanks in Ohio call them
crappies, and they are some fine eating. I will
eat
almost any fish, fresh or saltwater, but I have
to say my favorite is the lowly bluegill. Try
this: Clean up a batch, run thru a grinder,
make a patty adding bread crumbs, salt and pepper and maybe some ceyanne pepper to taste and
fry in bacon grease. Eat and you will not be
disappointedIMO I know I'm off topic.
snake-eyes

snake-eyes said:
Spitfire,
Your right....Yanks in Ohio call them
crappies, and they are some fine eating. I will
eat
almost any fish, fresh or saltwater, but I have
to say my favorite is the lowly bluegill. Try
this: Clean up a batch, run thru a grinder,
make a patty adding bread crumbs, salt and pepper and maybe some ceyanne pepper to taste and
fry in bacon grease. Eat and you will not be
disappointedIMO I know I'm off topic.
snake-eyes

Grind em up??? :shocked2: :hmm: No wonder yor eyes pop out Snake! :rotf:

Davy

Davy,
It mite not be for everyone but it's the
way my dad and grand-dad did them so maybe it's
more of a tradition thing than a taste thing. I
know when I eat them patties I think of them,
and at 60 it takes something like that to jog
my memory.
By the way, I forgot to mention to add an
egg or two to the micture.
Just try it, friend and keep in mind that
it is the bacon grease that makes it so
goodIMO.
snake-eyes
P.S. I have had them fried,deep-fried and baked
and this suits me best.

That's a nice mess of Specs, Speakled Perch, White-Perch, Crappie or whatever you call them accordin to where you live..fine eatin fish.
Bout the only pan fishing I do anymore is during spring gobbler season. I fish the creek after I hunt in the mornings. This is a mess of Redbreast, Bream and Stumpknockers.

redbreasts.jpg

Nice mess of Bream!I like to play'm with 4# fly Rod n'size 14 skeeter fly with 2# tippet brings the tiger out of 'em :grin:

Back