• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

small fihhing kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom hargrove

45 Cal.
Reaction score
this is my fishing kit i have caught a few fish on it. the gorges work quite wellon pan fish, only caught 1 catfish on the hook but many blue-gill on the gorges.--------- :v
100_0568.jpg

Very interesting. I have never heard of gorges, but I am not much of a fisherman. I think I see how they work, but how do you get the fish loose from it? What do you bait them with?

That is a nice slick little kit. Where did ya get the hooks? I was gonna order some but I lost the link I had found for them.

he gorges fit loose on the line and the bait is stuck on the gorges once the fish sollows the bait the gorges when pulled will turn side ways and lodge in the throte or else where it not fool proof but it period the native americans used the readley for line fishing i remove mine as i clean the fish when i use these i do not practice catch and release :rotf:
i like to use worms ,or grass hoppers even a pinch of bread will get you a bluegill.

Gorge hooks have been used for many many centuries. The one version is pictured, the other has a groove carved around the center where you tie your line on - instead of through the hole. Size them up and down depending upon your bait and the size fish you want to catch. The fish literally swallows your "hook", and when you pull the line, the points swing out to the side and catch/lodge in the fish's throat/mouth. You quite often have to cut it out to retrieve it.

Most iron/steel hooks were made from pre-made wire by people/companies that specifically manufactured them. Most were not crude, but fairly well finished. The flaired end hooks were popular during the 17th and 18th centuries, but hooks with eyes also existed. Hooks with eyes go all the way back through the Viking era and on back to Roman and Celtic times. Many Copper Culture hooks in North America had a version of an eye on them. A number of modern single fish hooks are accurate enough to fit into a 17th or 18th century fishing kit.

A number of the big vendors carry fishing kits and hooks. Check out Blue Heron, Jas. Townsend, Dixie Gun Works, Track of the Wolf, Avalon Forge, Smoke and Fire, and any number of other vendors. I've even been know to make some. This past Monday I made a dozen Viking era hooks with eyes, and a half dozen Great Lakes flaired end hooks (it was too hot to work outside on big projects in the forge).

Of course, these are but my humble opinions, and best used in conjunction with your own research.

yhs
Mike Ameling

that is very interesting, if the line was tied around the gorge instead of going through a hole then that would actually make it stronger :hmm: ,notice the picture after the hole is drilled there is not a lot of bone on either side, thanks ill make up a few new ones. :v

Nice, and it all fits neatly into a horn... :thumbsup:

Did you know you can even make bone and antler hooks?

Bone Hook:
hook01.jpg

Antler Hook:
fishhook011.jpg

[url] http://www.primitiveways.com/fishing_hook.html[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey I didn't see it included in your kit(very nice by the way and I will steal ideas for my own from it :grin: ) but are you using spit balls for sinkers or stones or nothing?

I think I saw metal fishhooks like those in Jas Townsend's catalog. No hole in the shank, right? (As good as these old eyes can see.)

Cut the eye off of an Eagle Claw hook and use a hammer to smash a flat spot. Just as good as what Townsend sells.

There are several people selling "hand forged" fish hooks and fishing kits with "hand forged" hooks in them that simply are modern hooks with the eye clipped off and the end flattened/flaired. Thruth? Deception? All a matter of degree. In the end, those hooks are very acceptable.

So goes life.

yhs
Mike Ameling

two-bellys said:
awsome---did you make those ? they are nice :bow:

Sadly, no...

I just found the web site and thought you might want to give it a go, even if just for show it would be worth a try...

I would like to make some, but Mrs. Musketman wisely limits my usage of sharp tools,

i understand ,im only allowed to use cutting tools- and super glue under adult supervision --thanks for the site info :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back