• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smith Carbines?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originals Smiths in very good shape cost only about 50% more than a repro, at least when I got mine about 5 years ago. I got some of the brass cases from Buffalo Arms, but haven't tried it yet. Plastic cases are a lot cheaper, but may not last. The brass ones should last forever.

the brass cases eventually wear out too, particularly with heavier loads

Smith carbine 1.jpg

Smith carbine 3.jpg

Smith carbine 4.jpg

guess 3.jpg

guess 2.jpg

guess 4.jpg
guess 1.jpg

I've almost been getting a Smith for over forty years. Would love to hear everybody's experiences.
I almost bought my first Smith at a gun show in Denver around 1970 or so. An original in at least nra excellent condition the seller wanted 1500.00 . Which was a lot of money back then. I’ve been almost buying Smith carbines ever since… very cool guns.
I stand corrected :ThankYou:
again, and again, and again!
Originals Smiths in very good shape cost only about 50% more than a repro, at least when I got mine about 5 years ago. I got some of the brass cases from Buffalo Arms, but haven't tried it yet. Plastic cases are a lot cheaper, but may not last. The brass ones should last forever.
You seem to be a fan… ;-)

While I do have a pair of Smith's, they are not a gun you want to feed a steady diet of heavy loads. The locking mechanism was known to be a bit on the weak side even in the day and that hasn't changed. Keep the loads to the mid 30g level to avoid ugly surprises

Here's a photo from an article in the Spring issue of the Black Powder Cartridge News. Four of us holding Smith Carbines. The fellows on the far right and far left have done a lot of researching and shooting loads for the Smith. The one on the left is the author. I'm the one with the bullet hole in his hat. I don't shoot a Smith but I was needed as a photo prop. It's a good article for those of you who shoot Smiths.

IMG_5321.JPG

I have a Pietta that was sold by Navy Arms. It’s a favorite black powder truck gun. Very accurate for a cavalry carbine.

Keeping the fire channel clear is important because it WILL hangfire.

I also replaced the sear spring with the coil spring from Mr. Gritmacker. Night and day difference.

It’s a super fun and unique shooter.

Latest posts

Back