• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smooth bore Turkey hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking for comments good or bad about using a 54 smoothbore for turkey.
I use a 20 gauge, or .615 bore Fusil des Chase or a smoothrifle of the same bore size. It is what I have and my state's legal minimum.
Your .54 should be okay, if you can get a good enough pattern, if you can get that pattern with enough energy (don't keep adding shot until the pattern is full but add so much weight that you loose effective velocity), and if, you can have the self discipline to pass on shots that are not within the effective range of the load you have developed.

Definitely read up on and try the Skychief load.

Do remember that you just won't be able to load 20 gauge shot loads, much less 16 or 12 gauge loads.

No experience with a 54 caliber smooth bore.
But here is the one from this spring. Called it in with a wing bone call that I made from my very first turkey. Shot it at 20 yards. 56 caliber muzzleloader with 7/8 oz of #4 shot and 55 grains of 2f powder. 8 inch beard. First bird with the smooth bore and first with a wing bone call.

Attachments

• IMG_2213.jpg
    IMG_2213.jpg
    81.7 KB
I have not hunted turkeys in a while, but use #6 and do try for the head-neck but that
is a small area. My reason is that we eat the birds and as I dress it out, I do not want to
take so long getting out the pellets of lead. Now a friend hunts with steel shot. He uses
one of those coin detectors to clear the bird and remove steel pellets--which I think is safer
for loved ones since lead is toxic.

I have not hunted turkeys in a while, but use #6 and do try for the head-neck but that
is a small area. My reason is that we eat the birds and as I dress it out, I do not want to
take so long getting out the pellets of lead. Now a friend hunts with steel shot. He uses
one of those coin detectors to clear the bird and remove steel pellets--which I think is safer
Right up to the day he misses a steel pellet and a loved one smashes a molar!
Won't be much love about then buddy!
Gas and radioactivity are toxic but nobody minds that!
Folk have been swallowing lead pellets and pooping it out the next day for many years.
Is there a confirmed death from lead shot case for me to study up on?
Lead shot is slowly morphing into the 4f thing!

Last edited:
Right up to the day he misses a steel pellet and a loved one smashes a molar!
Won't be much love about then buddy!
Gas and radioactivity are toxic but nobody minds that!
Folk have been swallowing lead pellets and pooping it out the next day for many years.
Is there a confirmed death from lead shot case for me to study up on?
Lead shot is slowly morphing into the 4r thing!
You beat me to it.
Turkeys need head shots, when using loose shot, to go down reliably anyway. Body shots may work reliably with an arrow or bullet/roundball, but, it is amazing the shot that all those feathers will stop, or at least decelerate enough to be non-lethal.

Why mess with steel that has less energy at a given yardage, and I'd you do get one in the meat of something and miss it in the cleaning process, will most likely ruin your day but improve the scholarship find of your dentist's kid.

Get a decently tight pattern and you can do it with even smaller calibers. So yes, 54 will do it just fine if you respect range limitations. Get a few different hard shot sizes and wads and hit the paper or cardboard patterning targets until you're happy with one of the loads. PS, Be sure non-toxic isn't now required for hunting on public land or even statewide like in Kalifornia.

There are lead studies of confirmed life long lead using hunters that show no issue with lead levels. I personally have never worried about using lead plus lead is easier on the dentist bill than steel !

PS, I know some have tried one piece nylon wads and had much tighter patterns from unchoked or lightly choked bores. I seem to remember BPI had some magnum wads (deep shot cups) that were around .545" diameter. Call them and ask first to see if they have exact dimensions. IIRC they are in bags of 250ea and not very expensive.

You beat me to it.
Turkeys need head shots, when using loose shot, to go down reliably anyway. Body shots may work reliably with an arrow or bullet/roundball, but, it is amazing the shot that all those feathers will stop, or at least decelerate enough to be non-lethal.

Why mess with steel that has less energy at a given yardage, and I'd you do get one in the meat of something and miss it in the cleaning process, will most likely ruin your day but improve the scholarship find of your dentist's kid.
Agreed, all of my experience in Turkey hunting has been head/neck shots only. The breast has too many feathers and fat to make a clean kill.

Back