• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How long does 1’000 caps last for an average shooter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shoot a weekly league, 12 shots. Probably two clearing shots before, a dropped cap or two...figure 15 -15 caps a week, 60 a month at least, april through september. If I go to an open shoot, hopefully 2-3 a year, i will likely go through about 60 shots a day. I guess for me that is going to average out to between 500 and 600 shots a year, plus hunting use.

I run 70 grains in my rifle, that’s a good number to know thanks
Wow! 70gr is a stiff load for a .45cal, unless you are hunting large game.

I use 40gr FFFg with a .495" RB at 25-50yds, then up the load to 65gr so that I don't have to adjust my sights when shooting @ 100yds.

20240727_121401.jpg

20240804_135947.jpg

Last edited:
from 95-2010 when I had my children going to approx 15 shoots a year averaging 60-70 shoots per that chews up a 1000 caps real quick. Now with only 1 kid shooting with me and we are down to only 11 formal shoots a year we go through easy 1000 a year

Most people, at least in my experience, pop a cap before loading to clear the channel and maybe dry up any moisture that might be there.
Who can answer your question? You know what you use each time you shoot.
Personally I would have more than a thousand but that’s me. Minimum of a thousand on back up. But then I stocked up starting years ago. I just had a feeling these lean times were ahead of us.

Don't concern yourself, order another 1000 as soon as possible and keep shooting without counting. 😀

Unless you are very hunter oriented then I agree with @JDBraddy that 70 grains is probably on the high side. I rarely load more than 45 grains in my 45 but only shoot it for small game and competitive or informal sessions. If hunting is your primary goal then just stick with the 70 and you will be sharp and ready to hunt when it matters.

If every caplock I own use the same caps, the answer would be easy. Don't shoot much these days as all my ol' buds are ...dead. Now adays, I get out something I've not fooled with in perhaps ten years and scrounge around for proper sized caps. At 75 years old and no shoots I know of within 75 miles, 1,000 assorted caps would last me the rest of my life. I have many, many tins left - more tins than time. Shoot 'em while you able to have such fun.

Don't concern yourself, order another 1000 as soon as possible and keep shooting without counting. 😀

Unless you are very hunter oriented then I agree with @JDBraddy that 70 grains is probably on the high side. I rarely load more than 45 grains in my 45 but only shoot it for small game and competitive or informal sessions. If hunting is your primary goal then just stick with the 70 and you will be sharp and ready to hunt when it matters.
Yeah I’d have to say hunting is my primary concern so I’ll probably keep it at 70, funny enough I thought that was gonna be the low end of powder I needed so I loaded 70 on the first shot and I’ve hit everything I’ve aimed at so far so I’m gonna stay dialed in at 70. I agree on ordering more caps though.

I have 1’000 cci #11’s and was wondering if any of you out there could give a ball park estimate of how long these should last me, shooting maybe 2-3 times a month
For the years I was shooting competit
I have 1’000 cci #11’s and was wondering if any of you out there could give a ball park estimate of how long these should last me, shooting maybe 2-3 times a month
Sorry if this is half a repete. When I shot competitively and was shooting percussion guns I went through 1100 to 1200 a year. Boy I miss those dsys.

when you are doing your thinking remember the caps used to clear the nipple and ignition path before you load after cleaning.
If it's properly cleaned and stored there's no reason to pop caps. If there is any excess oil in the flash channel popping a cap only gives it more substance to interfere with ignition.

I have never popped a cap for clearance and never had a first shot failure to fire. If residual oil is suspected it can be cleared with denatured alcohol.

If it's properly cleaned and stored there's no reason to pop caps. If there is any excess oil in the flash channel popping a cap only gives it more substance to interfere with ignition.

I have never popped a cap for clearance and never had a first shot failure to fire. If residual oil is suspected it can be cleared with denatured alcohol.
Agreed. I use contact cleaner to clean out any oil in the breech/bore. Never an issue in the field or on the range.

Back