• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who made this Jordan 1742 Long Land, and where could I find a barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
View attachment IMG_2035.JPGGood day all, more of my Bess folly.

In this case I bought this stock and lock in England. (Although I'm in the U. S.)
The barrel is gone- a casualty of British firearms law where a replica flintlock barrel is still a firearm. My internet research has found mention of a "Jordan" marked long land repro, but no one seems to know who actually made them. This one has "Tempus Fugit" and "Rochester" very lightly and crudely traced on the stock freehand, I assume not by the maker but by an owner.

The barrel channel is full sized, much larger diameter than a Pedersoli replica barrel and set up for 46 inch length.

So, where can I find a replacement barrel? And who made these? Thank you!

Click on the ATTACH links for more pictures.

View attachment IMG_2037.JPG

View attachment IMG_2041.JPG

View attachment IMG_2039.JPG

View attachment IMG_2038.JPG

View attachment IMG_2040.JPG

Last edited:
I would say you need to have a barrel custom made for that stock. I have no idea who would do this for you. I did it once and I wouldn’t do it again. Perhaps Bob Hoyt ? Call some of the big suppliers (Track,Dixie) and see if they know someone.
Regards
Stank

Hi,
I think the lock is from a Miroku Bess that somebody modified. Your only choices for a barrel would be the Rifle Shoppe probably pattern 1756 British musket barrel or a custom barrel maker. The old Colerain barrels from suppliers like Track of the Wolf don't seem to be available anymore.

dave

If you decide to go with Bobby Hoyt you would most likely have to send him the barrel you have now so he could duplicate it. Just out of curiosity why does the barrel need to be replaced?

If you decide to go with Bobby Hoyt you would most likely have to send him the barrel you have now so he could duplicate it. Just out of curiosity why does the barrel need to be replaced?
The OP does not have a barrel. It was confiscated by our Red Coat brothers in England. The gun came from England and with a barrel it is illegal there so they remove them.

I assume I would have to send the stock for a barrel to be matched, unless it's some known maker's product like a Miroku. But I have no clue to whom to send it, keep the ideas coming thank you!

Alas that is way beyond my skills, and probably not worthwhile- spend a thousand and end up with a $900 musket. I thought if I could fall into a barrel that didn't cost the earth, it would work out. Might just be the most sensible to sell the stock on, maybe someone has something with a broken wrist.

View attachment 353547Good day all, more of my Bess folly.

In this case I bought this stock and lock in England. (Although I'm in the U. S.)
The barrel is gone- a casualty of British firearms law where a replica flintlock barrel is still a firearm. My internet research has found mention of a "Jordan" marked long land repro, but no one seems to know who actually made them. This one has "Tempus Fugit" and "Rochester" very lightly and crudely traced on the stock freehand, I assume not by the maker but by an owner.

The barrel channel is full sized, much larger diameter than a Pedersoli replica barrel and set up for 46 inch length.

So, where can I find a replacement barrel? And who made these? Thank you!

Click on the ATTACH links for more pictures.

View attachment 353548

View attachment 353549

View attachment 353550

View attachment 353551

View attachment 353552
Try Loyalist Arms - they provided me a new barrel for my original Enfield manufactured P1859 musket at a very reasonable cost. I had tried Mr. Hoyt but he felt the original barrel was too far gone. The Loyalist barrel was nearly a perfect drop in. I had to bend the tang (easy) and drill the hole for the tang bolt - that took a lot of careful measuring but worked out fine.

I'll be honest and say that I'm at a loss to figure out why a live-firing replica - here in UK classed as a Section 1 firearm - that is LEAVING UK for ever should have its barrel removed.

I'd need to know the circumstances under which you bought it from UK in the first place. I've sent live-firing replicas out of UK before and had no problems involving them getting dismantled and the barrels removed.

The OP does not have a barrel. It was confiscated by our Red Coat brothers in England. The gun came from England and with a barrel it is illegal there so they remove them.

Firing replicas are most definitely NOT illegal in any part of the four countries of UK. If that were so, then none of us could own ANY replicas that we shoot and I have four.

They ARE, however, classed as a Section 1 firearm, same as any modern firearm is - after all, while they do look old, they are, in fact, new. So you can't have one unless you are a Firearms Certificate [FAC] holder.

As a foreigner buying such a firearm here, it's easy enough. The vendor, who MUST be a registered firearms dealer [an FFL], must action it from the outset, ensuring that the paper trail is intact until it leaves the country.

It would have been far easier to have bought a genuine antique of the same ilk. No licence is required here in UK unless you want to shoot it. It can be sent out of UK to a private individual.

Here's the inside of the lock, what am I looking for as to the boss for the front bolt?

As to the legalities, it was on auction in England as it is. The auctioneer informed me that the barrel no longer exists. Whatever happened to the barrel, and why, are closed books.

I know the British law, but many in Britain, including heirs, police departments, auction houses, and some R.F.D.s do not. And some who do choose not to jump through the hoops.

I would say you need to have a barrel custom made for that stock. I have no idea who would do this for you. I did it once and I wouldn’t do it again. Perhaps Bob Hoyt ? Call some of the big suppliers (Track,Dixie) and see if they know someone.
Regards
Stank
Ed Rayl or Jim Everett perhaps.

Back