• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smooth rifle accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How well can a smooth rifle like an early Verginia with both front and rear sights be expected to shoot if the shooter does his part.
Lets say at 50, 75 and 100 yards?
Thanks
Nathan

howdy Nathan B!
I asked this same question a while back, here's the linK: Click here I'm looking into getting a smooth rifle as I wanted the architecture of a rifle with the utility of a smoothbore, but just couldn't get around the accuracy issue. the posts helped me realize that a good smoothbore is as accurate as I'll really need for my own purposes.

I've never had a smoothbore with rear sights, but my smoothbore will drop the NMLRA silhoette targets at 120 yards. I think you will find that the gyroscopic action of the rifle only becomes an advantage over the smoothbore after 75 yards. A lot of good shooters that I know only shoot a smooth rifle in .54. I have seen them win more than one rifle match.

Many Klatch

It's been a couple of years since I shot it but I think my Chambers Virginai smooth rifle was shooting a 3" group at 60 yds with front and rear sights with 80-90 gr 3f in .62 cal, this was off a light rest, sitting or leaning against a truck canopy,i never tried out any further as that is my self imposed limit with open sights with most of my guns rifle or otherwise I have hit the long gong ( 8"x 48" cylinder}at over 100 yds at our shoot every time I shot at it with this gun....can't hit the damned thing with a rifle though?

Back