• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore Pistol Range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFromON

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What sort of accurate range can I expect from a .62 calibre smoothbore pistol with a 9" barrel? Here is the one I am thinking of getting:
[url] http://www.militaryheritage.com/pistol6.htm[/url]

What sort of powder charge would I put in a gun like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

First of all you need to define accurate. Realize this was a hand to hand combat pistol. Smoothbore, with NO sights. Man sized target at 15 to 20 yards.

This is not a target pistol.
Still, I would not want to stand in front of one. But defintely not for shooting trail walks, or punching paper :winking:

Would there be a noticeable improvement with a 12" barrel in the same bore?
[url] http://www.militaryheritage.com/pistol4.htm[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
This question is more of a personal nature I think. I have both of these in a 12" and a 9" Military Heritage Sea Service A few of us that use them can hit a target that size at 75 feet. And then again some that go with us cant hit a pie tin at 10 feet. this depends on how much your willing to practise with it and your skill level with this particular gun. Personally I like the 9 and do better with it. I am not very big and the weight of the 12 after a few rounds gets to me. Part of it I think it the angle in which a sea service tilts your hand (thumb up) forward. I have a Queen Anne with a 9 barrel that is even more accurate for me.,its a .50 cal with a lighter powder charge in a lighter built gun.

My personal advise to you (and I am no gun expert) is to buy the model you visually like the appearance of.,then use it and you will become good with anything you get familiar with.By the way., I am happy with my Military Heritage pistols., however I can say the same for MTVC and Pedersoli as well. All these Manufactors have sent me a straight barrel and good locks.

If you're farther than 15yds away, all bets are off on hitting a target of less than man size. They weren't designed to be shot much farther than 7 yards. Then again, neither are modern combat pistols.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I am going to order a Military Heritage 9" Cavalry Pistol tomorrow. I love the look of the gun and the little hinge that attaches the ramrod to the barrel. MH is located right here in Ontario so that appeals to me too.

A .62 cal bore is just a few thou shy of a modern 20 gage shotgun bore. Can anybody advise on using 20 ga. slugs as projectiles? They would be much easier for me to acquire than actual .62 cal balls. Also, could this pistol be loaded with lead shot and fired safely?

Shot can easily be fired out of that pistol. Just buy some 20 gauge overshot cards and have fun. 20 gauge slugs will work but you'll still have to either secure them with a patch or overshot card.

For a .62 cal pistol you'd need a .600 or even a .595 diameter ball which actually is pretty commonly found.

Latest posts

Back