• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore Shot Loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboysteve

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy Folks! I recently picked up a Northstar West flint .62 cal. Trade Pistol. My intent is to load it with shot, so I can tuck it in my belt during Fall hunting. That way I can bag small game or a grouse during deer season while I'm packing the flint rifle. What load would you use in it?

Great idea! I didn't think of that. Since Northstar West had to close it removed the option to call to find out what max. loads for the Trade Pistol are.

I've shot equal volume loads of from 20 grains to 40 grains of 3F and #5 or #6 shot in my 20 gauge flintlock pistol, settled on 35 grains. Patterns are fairly good but effective range is pretty short. In working up your loads it will be a good idea to check the power by shooting some tin cans or such, they aren't strong shooters.

Spence

Thanks for the suggestion Spence. As for power, just looking for a load that will knock a grouse off a tree limb. I'll try the tin can first though.

Latest posts

Back