• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So you think caps are expensive

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how do you get them to work?
I just use the Star plastic ring caps for cap Guns. Pick out the white insert with a pin. This leaves the priming compound in the little red cup. Dribble in a little Black Powder till the cup is about half full. Then compress gently with say a match stick (that prime compound is pretty volatile).
Give the cups/powder a good spray with Hair Spray and let dry. I use homemade BP and the cheapest Hair Spray I find (I'm not sure how substitutes would go).
Don`t push the caps onto the nipple, sort of roll them on from the side and don't push down firm, let the hammer do that on firing. Carry a pin with you to remove the little plastic plug that sometimes gets stuck in the top of the nipple after firing.
My honest appraisal is they work as well as bought #11`s I have used many Hundreds over the years. On the odd time they have not set off a load re trying with a CCI #11 has still not set off the charge and I have had to put powder into the channel.

I just use the Star plastic ring caps for cap Guns. Pick out the white insert with a pin. This leaves the priming compound in the little red cup. Dribble in a little Black Powder till the cup is about half full. Then compress gently with say a match stick (that prime compound is pretty volatile).
Give the cups/powder a good spray with Hair Spray and let dry. I use homemade BP and the cheapest Hair Spray I find (I'm not sure how substitutes would go).
Don`t push the caps onto the nipple, sort of roll them on from the side and don't push down firm, let the hammer do that on firing. Carry a pin with you to remove the little plastic plug that sometimes gets stuck in the top of the nipple after firing.
My honest appraisal is they work as well as bought #11`s I have used many Hundreds over the years. On the odd time they have not set off a load re trying with a CCI #11 has still not set off the charge and I have had to put powder into the channel.
I’m glad they work for you cause I’ve tried the German paper caps, 2-3 dots per cap, Duco and acetone, hair spray, the Chinese red caps as you described. All went pop but no bang. The Primeall works but is very corrosive. Caps have been showing up here and there in the $13 range per tin. Still checking Walmarts in my area for those $6 tins.

I’m glad they work for you cause I’ve tried the German paper caps, 2-3 dots per cap, Duco and acetone, hair spray, the Chinese red caps as you described. All went pop but no bang. The Primeall works but is very corrosive. Caps have been showing up here and there in the $13 range per tin. Still checking Walmarts in my area for those $6 tins.
I have not seen Paper roll caps for years since a kid. The Star caps are Made in Taiwan but have used the Chinese ones as well with reasonable-good results. There is defiantly less primer in the Chinese ones I tried. The Black Powder is just screened not compressed and I always give the side of the lock a couple of slaps to try and get powder into the flash channel. Because the powder is just screened and fine perhaps it ignites with less spark though I wouldn`t have thought that the case. Removing the white insert has made them more reliable. I use the Toy Caps on all my percussion guns from Hawkens to Zouave, all with #11 Nipples fitted. I would suggest giving it another try as I have described and let us know how you got on. Remember I use black powder not a substitute.

I have not seen Paper roll caps for years since a kid. The Star caps are Made in Taiwan but have used the Chinese ones as well with reasonable-good results. There is defiantly less primer in the Chinese ones I tried. The Black Powder is just screened not compressed and I always give the side of the lock a couple of slaps to try and get powder into the flash channel. Because the powder is just screened and fine perhaps it ignites with less spark though I wouldn`t have thought that the case. Removing the white insert has made them more reliable. I use the Toy Caps on all my percussion guns from Hawkens to Zouave, all with #11 Nipples fitted. I would suggest giving it another try as I have described and let us know how you got on. Remember I use black powder not a substitute.
I have done what you did and didn’t work for me, believe me I tried different methods even using single base smokeless/acetone binder mix that makes the spark hotter. All go pop but no bang.
I have enough commercially made caps to last me a good spell and have the Primeall ones as backups.

Surely you have knapable material down under, making workable flints isn't difficult at all. Some that I have made have been downright ugly compared to the commercial made ones but they sparked like a roman candle.

Actually theres only one known natural Flint deposit I've heard of here in Australia, and being on private property its restricted access.

I do know of some east coast locations where old Ships ballast in the form of large dark English Flint nodules has been washed up along beaches, and I retain some of them; but we lack any Flint knappers over here, even hobbyists.

Those aren't even "new" stock, they haven't used that color pattern and font style for a few years now.

newer packaging
Screen%20Shot%202020-12-02%20at%201.20.56%20PM.png

Older packaging
47794cad-711f-4f23-9404-dd379cdbe9cd_1.9b0b21279a86186492cb806f466297c0.jpeg

I once had an order of flints from England held up in customs, because they were "munitions". Took a little while to straighten out, had to get a senator involved--I heard it even made the Congressional Record.
Your senator actually did something for you?!? How much did that cost? What hedge fund do you manage? What bank do you own? ;)

good info. thanks

Hurry before these are gone!
On Universal Used Guns
View attachment 239380
2 RWS and a tin of CCI
and if you’re quick you can get them for only $125 ($84.52 US)
On Cleaver Firearms, a month or so back they were asking $17 for a single musket flint.
Rebel gunworks have been asking around $20 for some time!

Luckily I stocked up on percussion caps before things went crazy. Not in anticipation of things getting tight but figured it was better to buy 700 and not have to worry about getting more for a while. Shot one tin off and have been using flint since so they’ll last me a lifetime!

Back