• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So you think caps are expensive

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to smile I’m afraid each time you guys complain about the cost of consumables. All of us in Aus wish we could be so lucky. A trip to pretty much the cheapest Gunshop in Brisbane today made my heart stop. Looks like my stash of caps will have to do for a while.View attachment 237988
Yikes!

I don't know where you reside, I'm well out of Ipswich but do most of my shopping at the SSAA owned Queensland Shooters Supplies in West Ipswich, if you're an SSAA member they give a 10% discount, and their pricing is more than competitive.
I use to check into Rebel Gun Works but they've turned too pricey over the last 3 years or so. As an example a Ted Cash brand oval brass Capper priced at $75 a couple of weeks ago, I bought the same thing from Viceroy Books (they have some
Ml things) For $45.
PM me for a reliable and very affordable Black powder supplier, the good German Wano brand stuff imported in bulk. Legal to buy (Firearms license required) and located between Brissy and Toowoomba, worth the drive.
Thanks Coinneach, will be visiting that supplier next week for a top up. Most of my “general” supplies come from Viceroy, excellent service. Postage from the states doubles the cost. Yeah Rebel have gone a little greedy.

I don`t know about Aussie but here in New Zealand we don`t have flint. last lot of flints I bought from TOTW were $50US freight for about 6 nipples and 12 flints. Have taken the Flint lock off my Kentucky and use percussion lock on it with Toy Caps now...... Also under our Government I have to get an approved import permit to bring them into the country. The price of that is rumoured to be going up to around $560 per permit. Doesn't matter if you're bringing in 100 rifles of 12 flints it will be the same. Pretty sad really.
I once had an order of flints from England held up in customs, because they were "munitions". Took a little while to straighten out, had to get a senator involved--I heard it even made the Congressional Record.

As for the problem in NZ . . . have you thought about taking up lapidary as a hobby? You can import agate for sculpture (I sent some to a friend about a year ago). If a guy had access to a rock saw, he could saw flints as is done in Germany. Remember, "art" is in the eye of the beholder. . . .

Folks have also used "flints" ground from carbaloy. Not cheap (unless you have the tooling) but doable. You might even be able to find some carbaloy inserts that would work as purchased. From what I recall, costs for tooling in NZ were rather high but it might be an option. Make sure you have a source for new frizzens; from what I heard these "flints" shortened frizzen life due to their efficacy at scraping.

Thanks Coinneach, will be visiting that supplier next week for a top up. Most of my “general” supplies come from Viceroy, excellent service. Postage from the states doubles the cost. Yeah Rebel have gone a little greedy.

Stay in touch mate, theres a few of us on this site, do you know Pete up in Townsville ?

Don`t quite understand your answer. You defiantly need an import permit to import flints into New Zealand. I said I didn`t know about Australia.

My apologies then.
No problem importing Flints into Aussie land, even BP ML's, I just imported a 2nd hand Flintlock Rifle from USA, had more problems with Fedex than I did with Customs. Understandably its essential to do your prep to ease the process, Permit to Aquire and Import approval.

Stay in touch mate, theres a few of us on this site, do you know Pete up in Townsville ?
Thanks mate, no I don’t know anyone. Been shooting BO pistols for 40 years and picked up my first front stuffer pistol about a year ago, just for fun. Got the inkling that a rifle may be fun, actually picked that up during the week so am yet to get it dirty, hopefully next weekend. Don’t have time for semi or serious competition, just $hits and giggles.

You get the pie floaters here. There’s an Australian bakery in GA.
https://australianbakerycafe.com//
Pie floater, there is no accounting for some peoples taste😁. Having lived in Adelaide during my formative years I am well acquainted with them, never tasted one. I’ve seen the remnants left in the gutter around the pie van on a late Sat night after being on the turps.

Thanks mate, no I don’t know anyone. Been shooting BO pistols for 40 years and picked up my first front stuffer pistol about a year ago, just for fun. Got the inkling that a rifle may be fun, actually picked that up during the week so am yet to get it dirty, hopefully next weekend. Don’t have time for semi or serious competition, just $hits and giggles.

Keep an eye on the Usedguns.com website, theres some good 2nd hand BP Muzzle loaders and Handguns coming up there nowadays.

My first Army posting was to 3RAR based at Woodside in the Adelaide hills way back in the 70's, there wasnt much better than a steaming hot Pie Floater on a winters night.

Good old Woodside, remember going there once as a kid with the Scouts. Froze my nuts off I remember right. Not in the ADF but work within a unit at Enogerra

I don`t know about Aussie but here in New Zealand we don`t have flint. last lot of flints I bought from TOTW were $50US freight for about 6 nipples and 12 flints. Have taken the Flint lock off my Kentucky and use percussion lock on it with Toy Caps now...... Also under our Government I have to get an approved import permit to bring them into the country. The price of that is rumoured to be going up to around $560 per permit. Doesn't matter if you're bringing in 100 rifles of 12 flints it will be the same. Pretty sad really.
I may possibly be coming to NZ toward the end of the year or in autumn. I can’t imagine there’s any issue me bringing flints for my hunt?

If we end up doing it I could trade a few flints for powder if you’re interested and our paths aren’t too far apart?

Pie floater, there is no accounting for some peoples taste😁.…
1690123766715.jpeg

While I’m not at the Rambo level of cuisine, having been brought up by parents who lived through the Great Depression and WWII, I gained an appreciation for anything that was put on my plate and a willingness to try new things. Also, in Colonial America, people would eat the filling out of meat pies and then use the crusts to thicken soup. This just removes a step in the process! 🤣

As a kid growing up in the early 60s ate plenty of Spam prepared a million different ways and lots of powdered eggs and milk. As a treat on Sundays once a month, my older brother would splurge and buy a HUGE bucket of breaded shrimp at Kentucky Fried Chicken for $6.

Last ones I saw here across the ditch from you were $37 for a tin of CCI #11`s. Apart from the fact I can`t find #11 caps I will stick to the Toy Caps for everything except Hunting, hell they seem to work as well and cost $2 for 72.
how do you get them to work?

I may possibly be coming to NZ toward the end of the year or in autumn. I can’t imagine there’s any issue me bringing flints for my hunt?

If we end up doing it I could trade a few flints for powder if you’re interested and our paths aren’t too far apart?
Thats a nice offer. Where are you planning going hunting?

Back