• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Soak?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love beans
However my wife will only eat brown beans/pinto beans cooked with onion ham and served with corn bread
So Lima,cowboy,red beans and rice, black bans and rice, New England baked, Spanish garbanzos ect I have to make in small batches when she is away at my kids,at an event,or for my work lunch.
Sometimes I make beans on the spur of the moment, or while camping, just in the pot water and cook
If I know I’m going to have them the next day I soak over night.
Story is that decrease the pipe organ music but I’ve not found it to be true.
Do you all soak,soak ever time, now and then,or not at all?

I grow and cook pinto, black, Hidatsa shield, kidney and five nations dry beans. I prefer to soak overnight but if pressed for time will raise them to a boil, turn off the heat and cover for several hours. The music comes from the fiber and protein content. I have not found found there to be a difference based on soaking.

pinto & navy pea beans, both my mother & wife soaked them over night, it softens them up. and it is said that doing so takes the snap out of them? urban legend!

I cook baked beans several times a year...my favorite beans are Red Kidney Beans, Pea Beans, Great Northern and when I was able to find them small Lima Beans . The small Lima beans were made by Jack Rabbit and I can not find them in New England anymore. I do soak all dried beans over night. I address the farting problem with 1tsp of baking soda cooked with the beans. NEVER add salt to soaking water!
RECIPE
Dried beans one bag
1/3 cup of Molasses
1/3 cup of white sugar
1 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 small chopped onion small diced (smaller the better)
1 pkg Hormel salt pork ( find one that is VERY meaty) cut salt pork into small pieces
Mix all ingredients and cover beans with water
Cook in a slow (225-250 degrees) for up to 8 hours.....Check beans after 3 hours and add more water if needed...only add water once!
You can substitute a few slices of Bacon if you can not find salt pork,

We follow just about the same recipe,as Josie, the baking soda and soaking seem to help, always keep a pan of warm water on the stovetop,while beans cook,if they need more never add cold water,warm is what is used,so say the grandmother's

I love beans...,
...,Story is that decrease the pipe organ music but I’ve not found it to be true.
Do you all soak,soak ever time, now and then,or not at all?

YES I soak overnight!

I made Frijoles Borrachos [druken beans] on Sunday. Pinto beans or if you for some reason can't get them then Navy beans. It's a spicy bean dish that cooks them in beer. IF you make it with water instead then they are Frijoles Charros. Very similar to Baked Beans in basic ingredients, especially if using Navy Beans, but with a Mexican spice pallet, so in addition to peppers, there is cumin and garlic.

Beans from scratch I've noticed tend toward more "pipe organ music", than if you used canned beans. In both cases you must rinse the beans, and if they are canned, rinsing does remove a lot of the soluble fiber that causes the flatulence.

IF your body isn't used to a good level of fiber and especially if you eat yogurt and/or kombucha, then no amount of rinsing is going to help, as the critters that are naturally in your digestive tract are going to get a nice dose of partially broken up protein, and they LOVE that stuff. It's a feast for them, and one of the biproducts is gas. The only thing worse..., when folks start heavy weight training and take amino acid supplements. 😮

LD

I cook baked beans several times a year...my favorite beans are Red Kidney Beans, Pea Beans, Great Northern and when I was able to find them small Lima Beans . The small Lima beans were made by Jack Rabbit and I can not find them in New England anymore. I do soak all dried beans over night. I address the farting problem with 1tsp of baking soda cooked with the beans. NEVER add salt to soaking water!
RECIPE
Dried beans one bag
1/3 cup of Molasses
1/3 cup of white sugar
1 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 small chopped onion small diced (smaller the better)
1 pkg Hormel salt pork ( find one that is VERY meaty) cut salt pork into small pieces
Mix all ingredients and cover beans with water
Cook in a slow (225-250 degrees) for up to 8 hours.....Check beans after 3 hours and add more water if needed...only add water once!
You can substitute a few slices of Bacon if you can not find salt pork,

Thanks, that is definitely a different recipe than I have used. Will give it a try.

I make my baked beans in a pressure cooker. (old Navy recipe) same baked bean recipe, takes a little over an hour. when I have time, I use a slow cooker, takes about 7 hours. both come out good

When I worked I'd would get everything ready the night before for the beans. Soak the beans all night, change the water out and put in all the ingredients add new water and turn the crock pot on in the morning.

Supper was ready when I would get home and only needed to make the corn bread.

Divorce does not have to be stressful.

That’s so weird! I live in Brantford on the Grand River and my girlfriend is Mohawk and she lives on the rez and was just going on about corn soup a few days ago
It’s good stuff in the winter, which it still is up here
Lived near the Seneca Nation in WNY. Corn soup was often for sale on the rez, and always made for cold winter days. Thanks for the memory.

Latest posts

Back