• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

sodium bicarbonate solution...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brain

36 Cal.
Reaction score
...is just baking soda and water...correct :confused:

and what ratio of baking soda to water is used??

yeah i'm a noob, that's going to hack a t/c hawkins.

Well if you want a saturated soulution, just heat some water until almost boiling and add the sodium bicarb to it until no more dissolves. Cold solubility of bicarbonate in water is around 100g/L, but a little more can go into solution wih heating. Upon cooling, some may precipitate out, that's OK, it's still concentrated. Make a bunch, it's good for acid spills and indigestion too :)

I can't think of any application to muzzleloading for sodium bicarb, so just for the sake of curiosity, to what purpose do you plan to use the sodium bicarbonate solution?

J.D.

J.D. said:
I can't think of any application to muzzleloading for sodium bicarb, so just for the sake of curiosity, to what purpose do you plan to use the sodium bicarbonate solution?

J.D.

Oh a couple comes to mind, as a kill, for aqua fortis, for browning, in short, for acid neutralizing.

I use just enough water to make a paste, and then apply this to my browned parts. This also seems to function as a mild abrasive and helps get the browning "scale" off.

TANSTAAFL said:
J.D. said:

J.D.

Oh a couple comes to mind, as a kill, for aqua fortis, for browning, in short, for acid neutralizing.

yeap, that's the plan on both counts.

For neutralizing those acids, the mix isn't critical. Just stir in as much baking soda as the water will take. Be sure to rinse the metal well well afterwards as baking soda will cause rust like salt will. I'm not sure if you need to worry about it on wood or not.

Back