• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Some more pix from Camp Raven Knob

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave951

62 Cal.
Reaction score
It was another hot day on the primitive range at Camp Raven Knob but the Scouts and leaders were keen to get some shooting in. More than a couple had never fired a black powder rifle before but by the end of the day, most were pretty fair shots.

Charlie is a great instructor. Here he's giving some marksmanship pointers to a Scout.
IMG_2435(1).jpg

It got really hot as the day went on, so we had to improvise a covered firing point. Here we've moved on to shooting Civil War muskets and I'm giving some instruction on how to load.
IMG_2434.jpg

And it was this young man's birthday. He's just fired his first ever shot from a muzzleloader and is wearing @PathfinderNC s "spiffy" super dooper lucky hat.
IMG_2415.jpg

Here's a shot of how @PathfinderNC dresses out for our work with the kids. It generates a lot of questions and opportunities for learning about history by explaining various items he's wearing. Not only is Bob a great instructor, he's an extremely talented artisan, a crack shot, and I'm very glad he's one of my friends.
IMG_2412.jpg

Yup, the birthday Scout had a ball!
IMG_2422.jpg

The best days shooting , and teaching , are spent w/kids. My hunting buddy has taught hunter safety classes for 50 + yrs. It's part of his DNA. It's unknown how many new safer hunters he brought into the sport. I was always disappointed I couldn't teach , due to my "on call" job.

The best days shooting , and teaching , are spent w/kids. My hunting buddy has taught hunter safety classes for 50 + yrs. It's part of his DNA. It's unknown how many new safer hunters he brought into the sport. I was always disappointed I couldn't teach , due to my "on call" job.

I have to say this regarding working with the kids. More than once I've been in a restaurant, grocery store, or at a gas station and approached by a young adult I didn't recognize only to find out they were one of our Scout troop or took a class from us during a Scouting activity. And it's great to see them be prosperous, upstanding citizens of the community as young adults. The rewards aren't monetary, the hours long, the work often hard, but the results are long term investments in guiding youth into the right path and that my friends is- priceless.

Latest posts

Back