• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Some new stuff from the Flatwoods Forge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spots

32 Cal.
Reaction score
So me and my old man invited some guys up for a class/hammer in, and we made some stuff for camping and primitive living. Once again, everything is made with hand tools.

Everything we made laid out together wall hooks, railroad spike throwing hawk (didn't upset the steel and busted when we drifted the handle hole, got some ideas to improve) squirrel/camp fork, fire steel, railroad spike utility knife

hammerin5.jpg

2012-07-14_16-07-40_630.jpg

Skull pommeled railroad spike utility knife

hammerin3.jpg

hammerin2.jpg

hammerin1.jpg

Wall hooks for hanging any and everything

hammerin4.jpg

Throwing 'Hawk

2012-07-14_16-06-48_236.jpg

hammerin7.jpg

hammerin6.jpg

Knife and strike a light steel

2012-07-14_16-07-50_861.jpg

Squirrel fork

2012-07-14_16-08-15_452.jpg

2012-07-14_16-07-57_231.jpg

Strike a light deer skin bag

2012-07-08_11-51-57_524.jpg

2012-07-08_11-51-46_365.jpg

Good work men! I would relieve you of a few of those items but the black powder geeks around here won't take my cheques.

It's a matter of Period Correctness dontchya know... :wink:

Heck Glen, Somebody here will probably trade you a broken tomahawk for a pig and a plug of 'backy!

But then again, he didn't say that anything was for sale or this is the Classified Ads.....................................Don'tshaknow!

:rotf:

I might start a thread and roll out the virtual trade blanket one day. The tomohawk just made it in because we were playing around with some ideas. We dont sell, trade, or make stuff that we cant use so that would never make it into our bedrolls or on our trade blankets. Besides this is a show off thread just to throw some homemade stuff out there and suggestions or critscism are always welcome. Thanks for the intrest guys

The knifes finished as far as my work goes. We gave it to the guys who came to learn about smithing. And I'd probably carry it as is anyways. I dont know on the hawk yet. We may forge weld an eye back into it, or just chuck it in the "that didnt work" pile and start over. What would you do to finish the knife?

File the hammer marks out of it, polish it, harden it and sharpen it.
What you have is a peice of metal hammered into the shape of a knife. A good beginning.

The finish work can be the hardest part to do.

Its already been sharpened, hardened and tempered. As far as pulling out the hammer marks and nicks, and polishing, we have always prefered to leave them in most pieces we make. If I wanted polished perfection I would do stock removal, but I think stuff like that gives the knives character, and makes then unique. I may polish another one out someday, I have done one for a friend in the past. But for now its sharpened and my edge is where I want it for hardness and toughness. We do some stuff with a flatter to make it smoother than normal work. Thanks though for the advice, I might polish out the next one just for the heck of it

Latest posts

Back