• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Somebody say, "I told you so"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adirondack46r

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Bought a new Lyman 54 cal GPR last winter. Broke it in over the summer with over a hundred rounds. Somewhere along the way somebody told me to change the factory nipple and install a hotshot or something like that. I figured I would... someday.

Anyway, to make a long story short I was on a draw hunt here in East TN last weekend. I snapped off 3 caps and loaded up on Friday night. I hunted all day Saturday. Wasn't sure I would get out on Sunday so I decided to unload by shooting into a side bank. By the way, I had seen several deer but had no shots. Hammer back... click. Misfire. Sinking feeling...

I think I'll buy a new nipple pronto.

Must be more than just a new nipple to solve your problem. Possibly a more thorough cleaning of the paasageways from the nipple to the powder charge? Went deer hunting w/ a buddy and later on in the AM thought somebody was squirrel hunting because it sounded like a .22 being fired. It was my buddy trying to shoot some deer but the charge wouldn't ignite, only the caps. He used WD40 and didn't thoroughly clean the passageways.....Fred

I suppose it's possible that the passage ways weren't clean, but I am very thorough about cleaning after a shooting session. I pump scalding soapy water through that nipple, and rinse with scalding water until water comes through clear. Then I remove the nipple and repeat before lubricating the threads and replacing the nipple. I swab the barrel and pick the nipple before loading. This was my first ever misfire with this or any other BP rifle. Maybe I shouldn't be so quick to blame it on the nipple but I'm not sure what else it could have been.

I misfired on a buck once. Now, I pick the nipple if I fire a cap to clean out oil. Most of the time I just clean the rifle and don't oil the barrel if I am going to hunt soon. Firing caps sometimes clogs the nipple.

If the nipple was completely clear, the caps are good, and the powder is dry. It has to fire.

I would look at more than the nipple.

In a hunting situation when I know I have only one shot. I always run a pick through the nipple before capping.

adirondack46r said:
Hammer back... click. Misfire. Sinking feeling...

I think I'll buy a new nipple pronto.

"Click" may be a damp or oil soaked nipple. "Pop" and no "Boom" is worse. I have thousands of shots through nipples that are not Hot Shots. Just good Ampco nipples.

Damn snail breach, are you using real blk powder or pyrodex.
Pyrodex takes a lot hotter spark.
If you are using real powder maby you got oil fouling in you breach or diden't tap your powder into you nipple drum wile loading.
bummer tho.
I enlarge my nippledrum a bit over factory, helps a lot with miss and hang fires.
:hatsoff:

Using Pyrodex. I have had intermittent hang fires from day one. I use the allegedly hotter #11 caps that someone recommended. (Remington I think, not CCI.) I have been nipple pickin' before loading since my first range visit, and I am pretty diligent to tap the barrel to get powder into the channel.

I am going to do everything possible to eliminate this from ever happening again. I'm open to all remedies:

Change nipple
Change powders
Switch caps

What else?

By the way, I had my hunting buddy tell me that he always removed the nipple after loading and filled the channel with powder. Seems like overkill but it worked for him.

That's what my dad's new gpr does. Except that's because he hasn't gotten his replacement nipples yet and he was using the one that was originally on the gun at the store. The nipple was flattened on top from people dry firing it :cursing: So the hammer will sometimes fail to ignite the cap.

This is an easy fix. I didn't know you were using Pyrodex. Get rid of that manure and use real BP.

Problem solved.

Seriously.

I think that you clogged the nipple with the 3 cap fires. I have done that before and didn't make sure the nipple was clear before loading.

That would be my guess also.I don't understand why he popped three caps before loading :confused:
One would be sufficient.You say you fired a hundred or so rounds at the range.Has it happened before?, and did you snap several caps before you loaded to shoot targets?I would try some good old 3f Black, or if thats not available to you, try some Pyrodex P, if your using RS.

nw_hunter said:
That would be my guess also.I don't understand why he popped three caps before loading :confused:

NW,

I do that only when I am loading a gun that has been cleaned and lubed, and put away for a while. I was always under the impression that it would blow any oil that collected in the nipple out. You can tell when there is a clear path to the charge from the cap because it makes a very hollow sound when you blow a cap. All this may be a bunch of bunk, probably read it on the internet somewhere. ;-)

46r

46r

I've had a similar problem in past years. I found two problems.
1. Sometimes the cap you pop to clear the nipple leaves a deposit in the nipple. After I pop one, I remove the nipple to make sure it's clear.

2. I had two hot-shot nipples, purchased at the same time, one (of course the one I was using opening day) had a significantly smaller opening.

controlling those two variables, I've had no problem since.

(Have I just jinxed myself?)

bramble

Here's what I do. Right before I load I put a dry white cotton cleaning patch on my jag and ram it home. Then I put the cap on and fire. Pull the patch out and look at it . If the patch is burned black everything is good. If the patch it still white then there is an obstruction and it's time to investigate. After that I pick the nipple just to make sure that the cap didn't leave any crud behind.

Good idea, mrfish. I am going to replace the nipple, go to black powder, and try your technique. My guess is that that will take care of 90% of my probs.

The HOLY BLACK will go off every time if the insides are clean. Pyrodex works better in those unmentionable guns.

Back