• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Something for the wood lovers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doverdog

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I went over to my friend Ron Luckenbill's shop today to pick out the wood for my new Officer's fowler, flint, with a 42" .62 caliber, dare I say it, RIFLED barrel. The blank on the bottom is the one I picked. It was down to the two shown here, and the bottom one won. It was in the pile with the rest of the blanks and had been passed over by a number of other guys who had ordered guns recently. Lucky me. This wood may be a wee bit too fine for this type of gun, but I couldn't resist. ::

wood1A.jpg

Nice choice! That's a beautiful piece of wood. Should make a real nice stock.

I have a curly maple stock on my fowler, and while it may not be exactly traditional for an English style gun, it sure is pretty. I have a long rifle in .62 caliber, and it is a great gun, lots of power and very accurate. Combining the two seems like a fine idea to me.

Hey Cy, While I was there, Ron figured since we had corresponded via email, I might as well pick out your wood. Since everyone seems to be using maple or walnut I figured you might like a departure from the norm. Ron was doing some work on his deck and a 6' piece of outdoor wood post caught my eye. The grain on your new gunstock will have a kind of green cast to it, and you won't have to worry about the finish if it gets exposed to the weather. :blah:

Dat hunk of lumber ain't no good. It gots lots of up and down lines and marks on it going all acrost the grain and stuff. And I think I might even see a little bit of that nasty old spalt rot going there behind them lines too.

I just can't see letting a nice guy like you suffer with such a bit of damaged wood. I'll trade ya a nice straight clear-grained pineywood tubafer fer it.
:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

OK- Sorry, I got some serious jealousy going here. Nice bit of kindling you got. That's going to be an absolutely gorgeous finished piece.

Nice score!
vic

Maybe you should be a little more pacient and wait til something nice comes along

Hank in WV

Hey... how about Balsa wood? Light... easy to carve...

and don't forget............it floats if you should fall in the creek :crackup:
Don't mind me I always get cranky when I see a beautiful piece of wood in someone elses shop. :cry:
soggy

Very pretty wood sure is going to make a good looking stock.We're lucky that our style of rifles can be made to show off such great natural beauty.Good choice.

Back