• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

something to snicker at

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fusil de chase

40 Cal.
Reaction score
In light of the endless help this board has provided I thought I'd post a pic of my build's current state of cobbledness. Might be head shakingly entertaining. No need at this point to I.D the imperfections (they are many and mourned :idunno: )

On the positive side a board member provided a trigger for the build and coached me thru making it safe and functional.

Still having fun with the build. Amazing how lowering your expectations increases the joy.

Inlaws are visiting this weekend so next up date will be replete with lock panels, shaped butt and maybe a skinny forearm and thimbles.

IMG_0007_zpsd5ede5a3.jpg
[/URL][/img]

IMG_0008_zps7d06a624.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Just when you thought there was nothing out there nastier than the "mother in law" :rotf:

But on a positive note, unlike the mother in law redemption is possible for your gun with a bit of work...

"We can rebuild him, We have the technology"

Look on the bright side, when you get finished, you can shot this, unlike the mother in law!!! :stir: :doh:

Sorry, had to. On a serious note, other than the lock being on the wrong side, I really don't see a problem. If anything, it makes me want to start saving for my next kit, but mine will be much uglier than yours, trust me. I've only built the "factory kits" successfully so far, so you're ahead of me.

Going from plank to blank is a painful job.....your doing fine, rasp and plane and draw knife time........best done outside to save the marriage ..... :haha:

Only issue I see is by already doing the triggerguard, you just took out any options of Cast Off or Cast In.
Inletting the TG took that option out, as on a guard with a long tail as such, it is supposed to be centered to the stock, wherever that stock may go. Now if you cast In, the center will be off, unless you already compensated for that cast in.

Keith Lisle

yeah but these short barrels are so easy to inlet! I have added 10 inches to my next build.

Yes cast on would have been nice but it was ruled out by previous errors. Truth is the LOP got too short for comfy shooting anyway, no big deal. I learned more then enough on this build to make up for disapointment and the permenant errors will make good reminders.

Can't wait to figure out the shaping part.

I'd shorten up the fore arm a few inches, make that stubby bbl. look balanced--maybe. Theres actually a formula for figuring the fore arm length. Divide bbl by 8, mult. by 3 = the fore arm length. From Berlin gunmakers guild 1750's...Lookin good, no such thing as an error, you can always wait until someone drags up another chunk a wood and re-stock her....Tom

Tom, As usual you don't waste words. Transcribed that into my note book.

Bigbore, thanks for the encouragement, If ya ever recgonize the build on a range or in the bush make sure to say hi.

All of my builds have started with a pre-carved stock. All I can say is that anyone who can start with a slab of wood and make a rifle needs no comment from me. I salute your work. :hatsoff: Can't wait to see photos of the finished rifle.

Yeah Tom. Glad to see your lookin once in a while. Know your busy, but never know when your $.02 will be needed!
:hatsoff:
thanks
sweed

Looks good to me, gun building is a performance art. You can talk about it all day, read lots of how to books but, sooner or later it all has to come out the ends of your fingers. Will you make mistakes, yes sir and so will I. But you will learn and apply it to the next build, it's part of the addiction.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone

The big thing I see you did terribly wrong is the butt plate. REAL men use duct tape not masking tape!!!! Seriously you look like you are learning and having fun doing it. There is a certain satisfaction that comes in building your own. Persevere. Show us your finished gun.

Tetsa Prowler said:
Tom, As usual you don't waste words. Transcribed that into my note book.

Bigbore, thanks for the encouragement, If ya ever recgonize the build on a range or in the bush make sure to say hi.

Absolutely. Been following some of your other threads, patience looks like it's paying off!

I'd shorten up the fore arm a few inches, make that stubby bbl. look balanced--maybe. Theres actually a formula for figuring the fore arm length. Divide bbl by 8, mult. by 3 = the fore arm length. From Berlin gunmakers guild 1750's...Lookin good, no such thing as an error, you can always wait until someone drags up another chunk a wood and re-stock her....Tom

That formula works like a charm. /8 x3 = a much better looking gun. Where did you find it?

In a "round about way", just what are you building? Yes, from an aesthetic viewpoint, the forend is too long. Your progress must be encouraging to you and you're doing many things correctly...but not all. Good luck on the upcoming operations....Fred

Latest posts

Back