• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Source for pure lead Buckshot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmetucker

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anybody have a source for pure lead buckshot.

The Hornady buckshot that TOTW sells as "pure lead" is anything but. It is hardened with 5% antimony.

I want to use try using OOO buckshot in a .36 rifle, but cannot find a source. I am convinced that I could buy buck shot in that calibre less expensively (in terms of time and equipment) than I could cast my own.

Thank you in advance for any help.

:grin: I have used commercial buckshot for years. It works well and that small amount of antimony doesnt seem to bother

I agree with your belief that you can buy OOO shot cheaper than you can cast it. The sprue on a cast .36 is considerable.

On the other hand, I do not think that you will find much better than Hornady as a source of feed for your .36. Have you given them a try?

CS

I have been using Hornady "00" buck shot for awhile now and my 32cal. shots well with it. Of course the patching protects the bore from the ball.Opps, you are talkng smooth bore, I am in the wrong pew.

An old trick for hardening or softening (annealing) lead balls of slugs is to use heat. If your case, lay the balls out on a cookie sheet in the oven and heat about 1/2 hour to one hour at 400 degrees. Turn off the stove, crack the door open and let them cool to room temp. They will be softer. To harden lead, do the same but after an hour in the oven pour them from the cookie sheet into a pail or large pan of water. Same principle as quenching forged iron and steel. Just be careful holding the hot sheet and pouring the balls into the water. A trick is to put a large sponge in the water. When full of water, the sponge will lay just at the water surface. The shot pouring on to the sponge will help cut back on splashing. Good luck and take care. :thumbsup:

CrackStock said:
I agree with your belief that you can buy OOO shot cheaper than you can cast it. The sprue on a cast .36 is considerable.
My LEE molds leave NO sprue on the cast ball.
I enjoy casting round balls. Even for my .36 rifle I'd rather just cast them up....takes very little time. A whole lot less time than it does to cast the .67 balls I use for most of my shooting with the .70 caliber Fowler.
Jack

Jack,

With all commercial moulds. you will have either a sprue or a flat spot from the cutter. The only way to avoid this is if you have created a special round sprue cutter.

This is not to say that your cast balls are less than accurate, just that the percent of the ball affected by sprue is considerable.

CS

Well, you could always roll the cast balls between two flat plates to even the flat spot out.
But honestly, I have not noticed any real difference in performance of "round" buckshot and those cast from a LEE mold with the small flat spot. Being blasted down the bore sliding against a steel sidewall will more than likely put some sort of flat on a "round" buckshot....no? Assuming of course that there really are any perfectly round buckshot in any box you buy.
It all reminds me of the recent MuzzleLoader magazine article about perfection, sizing, and average reality..... :smile:
Besides, I like casting my own.
Jack

Latest posts

Back