• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spiked Tomahawk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50cal.cliff

58 Cal.
Reaction score
IF this is not the appropriate forum I trust the moderators will move it to the right one. I have several questions about spiked tomahawks! As of late I have became fascinated with the spike tomahawks. What an awsome weapon! So I am on a quest to find out more info about them.

When and where in America would they be considered period appropriate?

Would a mountain man have carried one?

Do any of you throw a spiked hawk?

Would the spike be easy to break off or bend if thrown?

Can a spike hawk be thrown in a competition?

I thank you in advance as to any information you might be able to share with me on this subject!

Spike tomahawks were common as NDN weapons during the F&I war through the Revolutionary War period. They tend to not be good for much else (camp use etc) and often have long, light handles for fast swinging and good reach. Those spike tomahawks built like the original fighting weapons would not be good for throwing.

You can find tomahawk heads for sale with sort of shorter blade type spikes and these might pass for throwing. But for competition throwing normally you want a wide blade and some heft so it sticks.

I agree with Rich here and would add that spike tomahawks are generally associated with Northeastern Natives and the Iroquois in particular.They were,as Rich noted,essentially fighting weapons although some very large specimens are known which were probably ceremonial.Another axe which is likely related to the spike axe is the halberd axe. These axes were double bladed with a spear point on the end.A very few have been found with pipe bowls on the upper end but it is questionable as to when these bowls were added.
Tom Patton

I saw a "replica" with a spike on one side and a pipe bowl on the opposite side with no blade. it struck me as odd and I wondered about that one.
Looked like a cool tool for rock hound smokers regardless.
:)

from contemporary makers site Sept 09'
Link

Now that's a specialized weapon, not an all-purpose tomahawk. Make peace or war, don't chop wood! :rotf:

I think that one is based on an original. We have our ideas, then there's the actual stuff out there.

I have seen photos of much later spike axes and some are from this area, only a hundred or so years later and slightly different in design. It is all so interesting none the less.
:)

Am I wrong about this or were spike hawks derived from British boading axes? I was just looking at a modern spike hawk used in Afghanistan by our armed forces. It was remarkably similar except for the boarding axe handle design.

The spike hawk on the bottom was made by Beaver Bill. It's very well made and would be my choice in a hand to hand... :wink:

New_hawk.JPG

Here's you a modern day spiked hawk, not for throwing.

I have a no-longer-made Rogers' Rangers spiked hawk from this company. It throws very well and is often used in the Best Ranger Competition.

As Boarding"hatchets", yes they are definitely period appropriate and were used through the 18th and into the 19th century. Not just the Brits, but the US Navy also used them (don't know 'bout the French/Spanish, etc.).

The handles were short like tomahawks, not long like modern axe handles though. There is supposedly a specific naval pattern for the spike tomahawk that may be slightly different than the "Frontiersman" style, but that appears rather indistinct. I saw one at the National Maritime Museum in Grenwich (London) in June, but it didn't look appreciably different than others you might see.

Beautiful workmanship and a nice piece of wood. Looks kinda dangerous to carry though. Would be a bad day if you slipped and fell on it.

There is a book called "Firearms, Traps & Tools of the Mountain Men" by Carl P. Russell that you might want to get. In the meantime there is my website at http://furtradetomahawks.tripod.com
where you can learn more although it is geared more toward collectors of the originals. White men such as explorers, trappers, traders, hunters, riflemen and even Revolutionary War & War of 1812 soldiers carried spike tomahawks. Some used belt axes (smaller trade axes) with just the hatchet blade to carry on their side or back which was used as a weapon & as a tool for sectioning a large animal or making kindling to get a fire going etc. They also carried spike tomahawks in the western states but to a lesser extent than eastern states. In the West they used Missouri War axes which were large thin bladed round polled axes which were 7-10" long and often used on horseback. Tomahawks of all kinds were used from the 1540's until the early 20th C. (as only symbolic items used in dances by that time).

Western & Eastern Indians also used pipe tomahawks (and even a few white people) which were highly valued. They smoked it like a pipe with the handle being hollow & on the other side was a blade. The blade was used for chopping wood, as a weapon, or just symbolic and not used as either. Native Americans were quite adept at throwing tomahawks and practiced wrestling with them and knives to hone their skills. Daniel Boone carried his favorite spike tomahawk called (a Halbert Tomahawk) with a blade on one side, a spike on the other and a spike on top, greatly improving the odds of hitting his target when thrown.

Many of the tomahawks were made in Europe such as Sheffield England and France & imported to North America. Many others were made by blacksmiths that were either independant traders or those hired by the govenment to satisfy treaties and get Native Americans to ally themselves to their side. There were even some Indians who did some blacksmithing for themselves.

Hope that helps for a start.
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back