• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

spiral marked wood

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpl.Parker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am making a shooting stick and have always like the spiral marked ramrods. Does anyone know where a fellow could find information about the technic?

Cheers
Kevin

I use panters tape and acid stain and some times I just burn it in with a torch.
Ephraim

I use the white fabric adhesive tape like in the medical section of the store 1/2" wide. I try to keep the tape with a 1/2" space in between the tape as I twist the ramrod and apply the tape. Then I take a torch, propane is okay. I proceed to slightly charr the exposed area as I twist the ramrod. The tape with slightly charr and maybe burn alittle, and shrink. Remove the tape, if you so desire, you can remove the adhesive from the tape that stuck to the ramrod with solvent Then I sand the entire ramrod down with 220 paper, then 400 paper. I wipe the ramrod down with a rag, then apply the desired color stain, then when dry, the finish 2 coats. Sanding the ramrod after you've charred it evens everything out. Hope this helped... Geo.

I use a similar method like George F does, but I us spent sanding belts cut to the desired width. I then wrap the strip around the ramrod, pulling it tight as I go and tape just the ends. This leaves no residue from the taping method. I can get several uses out of one strip. You can very the width of the exposed area to suit you needs. The propane torch works great.
Dusty :wink:

ssettle said:
use a pin for staining leather. using a torch isn't a good idea because it will weaken the wood at the burned area...take it from me I know. :thumbsup:
I think he meant to say "SCORCH THE WOOD, NOT BURN"! :shocked2: Wrap like a Barber pole and just use wood stain on a foam brush does the task neatly. Then oil and hand rubbed in and your there! JMHO

Rick :thumbsup:

Fire-hardening of wood has been practiced throughout human history. Unless one is getting char, the wood grain is likely compacting thanks to the heat driving off the moisture and bringing the natural wood oils to the surface. I think there was a thread on vikingsword.com detailing the process used to harden shillelaghs, if one wanted to pursue further research.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back