• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spring Turkey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OTHERN

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This is a little(lot)late, but just figured out how to post a picture. This is the Tom I took this spring, up on the Wyo side of the Black Hills.
P4160001.jpg

Othern

Nice bird, Othern :RO:... and very nice shotgun! :thumbsup:
Please give us details of the hunt AND that fine flintlock.

Nice looking bird---- I like the gun best---Is it LH? :winking: :thumbsup: :peace:

In answer to the questions. There wasn't much skill involved in this one. The turkeys weren't where they normally are, so we went lower and I decided to walk a ridge. I had my brother drop me off and after he left and I was adjusting my gear, a tom gobbled up on the ridge. A hen answered across the road. He came right down the ridge, and I shot him at about 30 yds. This was the last morn I had to hunt, so was happy for the luck.

The shotgun is a doublebarrel flinter, that I saw at friendship and threw money at the owner until he said stop! He was awfully slow to say stop!
It is a 13 gage with 2 sets of barrels. 1 set is jug choked full and full, the other is cyl and cyl. I was using the full and full set of barrels. I used 1 3/8 oz of #2 shot and an equal amt of 2ff goex powder. I used two over powder cards and an overshot card. In Wyo you are not limited on shot size as you are in most of the Eastern states. In my experience, turkeys can take a lot of killing, so I use what has worked best for me over the years. I have tried cushion wads and shot cups with this gun but they don't seem to help, so don't use them.

Othern

In my shotgun, the larger shot sizes don't pattern as well as number six does. I stick with 120 of number 6 over 90 grains of powder. The cushion thing is funny. They don't really effect the pattern, but they make loading the second shop so much easier that I use them anyway. At 40 yards this spring, a bird stopped to look just a little too long.

Nice job on the turkey! :front:

I have ALWAYS wanted a double flinter just like that!!! Someday, maybe before I keel over, I will have one...I hope. :p

Beautiful, congrats.
Wess

The shotgun is a doublebarrel flinter, that I saw at friendship and threw money at the owner until he said stop! He was awfully slow to say stop!
:haha: :haha:

I used two over powder cards and an overshot card. I have tried cushion wads and shot cups with this gun but they don't seem to help, so don't use them.

Overpowder cards seem to pattern just as well without the cushion wads in my Pedrsoli 10 ga. (as per V.M. Starr). Thanks for the details on hunt and that beautiful double flinter that will probably make me lose sleep over :crackup:

Latest posts

Back