• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Springfield Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crudedude

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello fellow b/p enthusiast. I have been lurking for quite some time and decided to get my feet wet. This is my first post since becoming a member so don't be too hard on me if I screw up as I am not too sharp on the computer. I too have a Springfield Hawken bought last month from S/G and am really impressed with the quality for the price. Right out of the box (never adjusted sights) was shooting three to four inch groups at 100 yds, using hand cast 490 balls and 80 grains of triple F Goex. I also have two 1858 Remington 44's so anyone who might want any info on loads, quality and so forth please feel free to ask. Looking forward to any input or comments.

VEGETARIAN: INDIAN FOR LOUSY HUNTER

First off, welcome to the forum. My friend's son got one of them rifles. Since they brought it to my house to shoot I had a chance to examine it close and was very impressed with the rifle overall.

What load are you shooting out of your rifle? I will pass that information along to my young friend. I talked to him and his father tonight and he is still fired up about shooting again....

thanks.

Hi Cayugad
I havent had a chance to shoot it much as has been raining a lot lately but the load it appears to like is 80 grains of fffg ,490 pure lead ball and .017 pillow ticking patches. I make my own patches and for lube I use 8 parts lard and 1 part olive oil, this seems to work for me better than any of the commercial products. Hard to believe but my rifle was dead on at 100 yards without touching the sights.Hopes this helps,let me know.

Back