• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Springs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
Ah, spring time...
Brings to mind images of birds chirping, flowers blooming and muzzleloader's locks...

Which do you prefer in a lock spring, coil or "V" type?

I prefer the "V". Spent an afternoon watching Kit Ravenshear make springs and he was amazing.

But, if my life depended on it, I'd have to go for the reliability and longevity of coil. Although, knock wood, I've only had one "V" spring break in many, many years of shooting.

Of course, ALL flintlocks should use "V" springs by order of artistic and spititual wholesomness. It would just be wrong to use a coil spring flintlock. Right up there with putting a synthetic stock on one. Ghastly.

Being of the "Last Century Traditional" persuasion (1970+ TC Hawkens) coil springs do just fine for me.
In fact, I just got done fondling one as I cleaned and reassemnbled a lock after shooting my .58cal Flinter this morning...and what a fine job she did too!!
(coil spring and all) ::

SPRING IS SPRUNG
THE GRASS IS RIZ
AH WONDER WHARE THE BIRDIES IS?

Ah kin tell ye whar the birdies is. They is a migrating up from Mexico an a sittin in the big Ash tree in ma front yard an a poopin on ma car. At's whar the birdies is.

Now fer the question 'bout flat sprangs an V sprangs an coil sprangs: Ah agree with Stumpkiller. Coils are more reliable but they have all of tha tridishanal appeal of gas logs in ah fire place.
Now am gas logs would be more excitin iffen every once in a while they popped an sent a flamin ember out across the room onta yer new couch! That would make um a hole lot more interestin an traditional.
An em coil sprangs could be more traditional iffen they would break once in a while an blow the bottom o yer stock inta chunks o kindelin wood too. ::

Back