• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel Chasers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FyrepowrX

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Bout this time of year i start gettin twitchy...love chasing squirrels, even got restless & started a new shootin bag for my .32's to keep me enthused.

usually by Sept 1st they are cutting pecans...went to sneak around the creekbottoms last weekend to check the trees & looks like a pretty lean year for mast crops, we had some very late snows & cold weather, guessing that must have affected the trees. seen a few clusters, but just not a bumper crop on the pecan strees this year, wondering how the acorns will fare.

anyone else here getting ready to make some smoke in the woods?

G~

You betcha. I'll be chasing them with a .32 southern rifle and a small collection of smoothbores.

I think anybody who doesn't chase small game with a muzzleloader is really missing out. :grin:

I'll look forward to hearing about some of your hunts in the near future.

:hatsoff:
Spot

I haven't since I was a teen but I had a gun built this year and made plans to chase the ones out back that haven't been hunted in at least 20 years. But it may not happen till next year as I haven't gotten to the range to sight it in yet and can't see that happening anytime in the near future unfortunately.

Planning on going myself as soon as it cools off a little. Didn't have any luck last year, just weren't any squirrels. The locals around my buddies land said the big ice storm seemed to thin them out. Hope to at least get some shots this year with my 40 cal flinter.

FyrepowrX said:
Bout this time of year i start gettin twitchy...love chasing squirrels

anyone else here getting ready to make some smoke in the woods?

G~

Sept 5 is the dark day I start on them with my 20/ 62 flint fowler. It will be a reckoning for all their charging black bear imitations during deer seasons of the past.
:shocked2:

I have not hunted them in a while but come Sept 5th "IT IS ON!”
:thumbsup:

Hey there rdillion,

I have family down your way and have done a bit of hunting out there. Lots of fox squirrels over by Romance and Mount Vernon. Good hunting in your part of the state.

That forty will sure do a number on 'em, I used a forty quite a bit last year - enough to convince me to try that forty on deer this year.

Just a couple more weeks... :grin:

:hatsoff:
Spot

been ready since May,just waiting for it to cool off. maybe this saturday,supposed to be down in the 50's overnight,make for a nice cool morning hunt.

My deer camp is in Oxley, north of Leslie. Man they were really hit hard by that ice storm. We had to cut our way to the cabin and it is on a county road. I'm planning on using my 40 cal on deer this year. I'll let you know how it does. I'm getting the components together now to build a 40 cal caplock southern mt rifle. Still need a barrel and walnut stock. Soon as I get the money scrapped together, it's been tough around the Dillion household here of late.

Ross, :hatsoff:

david50 said:
been ready since May,just waiting for it to cool off. maybe this saturday,supposed to be down in the 50's overnight,make for a nice cool morning hunt.

Good luck and tell us how it went (pictures are nice). :thumbsup:

Seasons been in here since August, but been too hot for me and the chiggers are so bad I'm scared to sit down.
I got eat up with them deer scouting. Found some sulfur in a local drugstore and now they don't bother me.
I will take my .20/.62cal out when it cools off a little. Haven't seen many squirrels on my deer scouting trips.

As far as hunting enjoyment goes, nothing beats squirrel hunting with BP. I use a flint .40 or 20 bore fowler. Lots more opportuntiy to see game and shoot. The SC season opens early but I like to wait till the first frost to eat them. A squirrel covered with wolves is a nasty sight!

we got lucky on the chiggers, part of the area that has the best squirrel hunting on my place we burned this spring before greenup, cleared out a lot of brush & really helped with the chiggers & ticks.

deer liked it too, a few weeks after the fire the return growth was great, and they hit it hard.

still aint figured out what part in the food chain a chigger serves, unless it is the top seat & we are right below it. :grin:

think if it aint too hot this weekend i'm takin the .32's & .36's for a morning shoot.

I was fixin' to hit the woods for squirrels this weekend, but the ole' back decided to act up. :shocked2: I might have to put it off till next month. I hope to get out as soon as possible.

FyrepowrX said:
Bout this time of year i start gettin twitchy...love chasing squirrels, even got restless & started a new shootin bag for my .32's

G~

There was a great article on squirrel hunting in April 2009 Muzzle Blasts called the "The perfect day" If anyone missed it it is worth a read.

It seems like there isn't going to be a very consistant mast crop around here either. Some trees have nuts some don't. I built a .32 to try out on squirrels, then last fall there didn't seem to be any squirrels any where a few more around this year but still not a whole lot.............watch yer top knot

I hope to get out and hunt the woodlots next to some Hazelnut orchards in early Sept, will use a .58 fusil with 1 1/8 oz bird shot.

weatherman says 59 degrees in the morning, and thats about 20 degrees cooler than usual for us...guess where i'll be? :wink:

our season starts sept. 1st up here, I hope the mosquitos die down before then - I plan on using my new to me cva 12ga double. I even have my bag loaded up with a dozen loads of #4 shot all ready!

Our season opened August 1st so I already been out twice. :grin:
It's been cooler than normal but the squirrels didn't move much until 10:00 or so.

Back