• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel hunting with .50?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tatonka

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone squirrel hunt with a .50 caliber rifle? Since that's the only flintlock I have that's my only option. Being that I am new to traditional muzzleloading, I have never tried to do it. I am told that you can "bark" the squirrel or shoot it in the head. I'm just wondering how realistic this is.

I don't know about the regs in your state, but here in Pa. to hunt small game you have use .40cal or smaller.

Vern

OK work up a really light load that is still good to about 40 yards. 2 reasons first off you're driving tacks with a sledge hammer here and second since you will be shooting up into trees most likely, you don't want the round to carry into next week and hunt someone you never met.

If I was assured that I was in a safe place, I wouldn't hesitate. I can't tell you how many snowshoe hare I've taken with head shots using reduced loads (30-35 grains of Goex 3f or Pyrodex P) in various 50 cal rifles. And my 54, 58 and 62 cals for that matter. But elevated squirrels in an area with other people and homes nearby? Not a chance.

A rough guideline would be a load of half as much powder as your deer load with a round ball and be highly selective of your shots................watch yer top knot.............

I've shot a dozen or so squirrels over the years with my .50 using 30 grains of powder. You have to make head shots or you may be collecting the squirrels in pieces! :shake: I agree with the others, however, unless it is very rural and there is no chance of the ball coming down and striking someone, it is not worth the risk.

Pick your shots carefully, so that if you are having to shoot up into a tree, there is a substantial tree trunk or limb behind the head of the squirrel to stop your ball. Use the light loads. 27-30 grains of FFFg powder should be more than enough. If you can't get a head shot, then aim for the front shoulders. there is not a lot of meat there, and losing it won't be so painful.

Around here, tree shots are best left to a shotgun using nothing larger than #6 shot. Its not uncommon for two hunters to hunt together, one with a rifle, and the other with a shotgun, so that there is always a choice available to take a squirrel in a tree. Most shots at squirrels will be less than 25 yards, from muzzle to tree rat. :hatsoff:

Back