• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel hunting with a .50

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm enjoying the conversation and learning because I've used 35 grs in a .36 and I blow their heads almost completely off. So interesting to see so many using even bigger calibers! I also have a .32 which really works nicely on a squirrel-sized target and the damage is much less. But Roundball is right, the vast majority of the meat is in the hind quarters anyway.

Every things big in Maine.You should see our women! Shine, looks like you got that pretty rifle wet. Good shootin!
Nit Wit

i squirrel hunt with my .54 cal GPR....just load light and head shoot'em. granted it will remove their heads quite efficiently, but doesn't waste any meat either. :thumbsup:

A Warning that one might want to check their state game laws before venturing out for small game with a gun and "ammunition" meant for large game. A warden won't know or care if you're only putting 20 or 30 grs down the barrel.

In Minnesota "No person may possess a firearm or ammunition outdoors during the period beginning the fifth day before the open firearms season and ending the second day after the close of the season within an area where deer may legally be taken by firearms." They then list exceptions which includes a .22 rimfire, shot #4 or smaller, handgun with a carry permit, etc.

Of course one is OK if they actually have a big game license for that season. But net is, in Minnesota, if you were hunting squirrels with a deer-sized bore and ammunition during an open firearms deer season you could be ticketed.

This makes sense because poachers will say "Oh, I was hunting squirrels with my .300 Winchester Mag!"

Thanks for the heads up, but fortunatly I live in Georgia. Small game weapons are .22 cal rim fire, air guns, bow and arrow, crossbow and any muzzleloading fire arm. Which means I can carry my .50 on small game hunts on wma and load it up for hogs.

Lorren68, good thing you live in Georgia, here in ark anything above 40 cal is illegal for small game except during a legal big game season ( ml or modern deer). any other time you will get a ticket these ark game wardens are fanatics hounddog

We have no restrictions on cal for small game in OH, so a 54 with 80gr fff kills em sometimes scares the poop out of others.

Back