• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
12-15 measure of fffG in my .32

Much more, damages the meat....even in a under the chin shot.

I use 15-30 grs fff under a 45 gr prb depending on distance and if I think I'll run into anything bigger while I'm out. Like it was stated much more makes a mess of the meat.

Sitting here trying to remember whatt my custom measure throws for my .36....without checking I think its about 34 gr of 3F. It put 4 squirrels in the pot this year the only time I used it. :thumbsup:

My .20 smoothie uses 78gr of Kik 3F from its custom measure and 1 1/4 oz of 6's to do the trick and put a couple in the pot. :thumbsup:

I've used 40grns in .40 & .45cal rifles, and 60grns / 80grns with #5 shot in .28ga / .20ga smoothbores.

I used 40gr of FFFg when I had a .36. I've got the .45 now, so I'm not sure what I'm using yet.

When I used my .40 I loaded with 50 grs. of fffg. Needed to get head shots all the time. In my .32 I use 15 grs. of fffg. Still better to get a head shot because this load will still tear up some meat. But at least not as bad as the .40.

PS:
Of the few squirrels I've cleaned / fried...as far as I'm concerned...the hindquarters are the only thing worth bothering with in terms of having the most worthwhile amount of meat.
I've taken some head shots, missed some and hit some...but for the most part I put the ball through the front shoulders and discard all the front anyway.
Now with a .28ga I'll be going after them with #5 shot.

I use 20 Gr. of FFF real BP in my 32 Cal Thompson Center Cherokee. All head shots so far this year. A.310 RB w/ a .015 lubed patch.

Latest posts

Back