• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

squirrel rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here is blue ridge in 36 cal with a greenmtnbarrel
very accurate I only take head shots

xmasswabbit009.jpg

I envy your range conditions! I'm here in Florida, wanting to zero in my new .60cal, and the temperature will be 97 degrees by 1 PM!

Vinnynj what a combination a beautiful rifle and a very pretty hunting partner your a very lucky person indeed , I can't decide which is more attractive the girl or the gun . no offence intended but that pic is a winner for sure .

I built this 20+ years ago. Walnut stocked, Griffie 3/4" barrel, Dixie lock. Very small and light.
2d13f4a5.jpg

9517fc53.jpg

056125bd.jpg

Reddogee what an awsome rifle!! Wow you build nice guns. Vinny's gun is nice but I love seeing member's work.

What is the calibur of that rifle? Looks like a .32 to me.

Thank you sir. Actually I used to build rifles I figured I could build with the limited skill I had and the TN Mtn rifles fit the bill nicely. No carving, no inlays, no engraving, no patch boxes.

It's a .32 and shoots a .310 ball I cast with about 25gr. fffg. Recoils like a .22.

Well I don't own a small bore right now, but here's one I made for a young girl back in 97.
Soapers4.jpg

Soapers1.jpg

That's a fine piece of craftsmanship. I bet that patchbox with all those peircings took a while to let into the stock. Nice wire work too. Beautiful rifle and probably a happy little gal that owns it.

Oh yes..........trust me! That one took some time. But it was fun.
Thanks your your nice comments.
:)

Steve,
Beautiful job. I've rarely seen a smallbore rifle so nicely done. What did you use for stain and finish?

hi Reddogge
I am sorry, but I really can't tremember what I used for stain back then. I made up a lot of my own stains using Wood Alcohol and Brownells dies, but I made them up in very small quantities and tried a "little bit of this and that", until I got a color I liked.

But the finish I can tell you about.
I use boiled linseed oil cut 50% 50% with paint thinner as a base. After the stain is put on, I soak the stock in this for about 30 minutes and then wipe off the excess. Let it dry for 3 days in the sun. I use a window for that. Wet sand any small imperfections you find and re-stain with your alcohol based stain. (I use the same 50% 50% mix to wet sand, using 400 grit Automotive metal cutting paper) Liseed oil will pass the stain and give the same color. When you think it's ready, put on another coat of the 50% 50% mix, and let it stand in sunlight for 3 more days.
If you have done a good job of sanding, you will not see anymore areas that need work at this point. If you do, then "wet sand" it again with 400 grit auto paper and do the re-stain again with the Linseed oil and thinner. Just keep doing that over and over until you have what you like.

Then use low gloss Tung Oil over the top of the linseed oil. The Tung Oil is a MUCH better finish for standing up to the weather than linseed oil is. However, Tung oil is so good at keeping other fluids out that if you ever need to match the color after you put it on bare wood the stains won't go through it. So that's why I use linseed first. Tung is a great finish and sealer, but you only get one chance with it.
If I need to do a repair on my stocks I can sand through the top coat of Tung and get to the linseed below. I can fix what I have to, and re-stain. When the stain is the right color, I put more 50% 50% linseed oil and paint thinner on the repair. When It's dry I then use Tung again. I will look good as new.

This is my personal hunting rifle. I have re-blued the barrel one time and touched up the wood 3 times. As you can see, it's still good looking finish. I can match it when I need to.

Hope that is tid-bit helps.
MyRifle.jpg

Steve Zihn

Steve, that's great information about the finish. Exactly the kind of info I've been looking for. Many thanks. I'm still in awe of your skills.

Well thank you Plink.
You are very kind. I hope I can help the shooters out here.
I live way out in the middle of Wyoming, so don't get to go to the big shoots or events very often, and it's fun to exchange info and share the sport.
The computer is often my only way to "chat" with new men and ladies about shooting, gun building and hunting. I am enjoying the interaction.
I may get back to Friendship, the CLA or even an Eastern National's again some day, but at $3.20 a gallon for gas, it's going to less and less likely.
Anyway........you and the folks here are more than welcome to ask and interject with me ANYTIME. It's wonderful to have the interaction.
Steve Zihn

I am between Shoshoni and Riverton. Off the highway a ways.
Whare are you?
You must know AJ White. I was just over there a few hours ago. You and I may have met in the past.

Latest posts

Back