• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrels and Rabbits?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQHunterGray

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello Everyone:

Does anyone hunt small game with their muzzleloader such as squirrels and rabbits?

I am researching small game hunting with traditional weapons so I know what gun to get.

Thanks,

-Marc

SQHunterGrey- I usually hunt small game with a fusil. But now I have a left handed flinter in .32. Really extends my range. The flinter was made in Mo. by a guy named prffessor. The squirrels are easier to get than the rabbits. I haven't seen enough rabbets here in S. E. Kansas to make them worth hunting

I call myself a "big game" hunter, but when you do the math I spend a lot more days in the field hunting small game, and in fact probably put more pounds of small game than big game in the freezer.

My pick of pure small game rifles are 32 or 36 caliber, but I'd list a 40 too, if I had one.

But it doesn't stop there. All of the bigger calibers are ideal for head shots, and you don't need a heap of powder for that. I probably shoot as many snowshoe hares with my 50 and 54 calibers using a PRB over 30 grains of 3f. Dandy practice for big game hunts with the same guns, too.

I hunt squirrels almost exclusively with a flintlock now.

In the last season I actually never hunted squirrels with my 22, just my flintlock. It’s 50 cal.1/48 twist, shooting No.6 shot. Keep the shots within 15 yards and the patterns ok for squirrels, even though I was shooting shot from a rifled barrel. Eventually I plan on getting a Brown Bess (some variation thereof), and use that. Probably will get a smoothbore barrel for my “Hawken” first and hopefully get acceptable patterns out past 15 yards.

Squirrel Tail said:
I hunt squirrels almost exclusively with a flintlock now.

In the last season I actually never hunted squirrels with my 22, just my flintlock. It’s 50 cal.1/48 twist, shooting No.6 shot. Keep the shots within 15 yards and the patterns ok for squirrels, even though I was shooting shot from a rifled barrel. Eventually I plan on getting a Brown Bess (some variation thereof), and use that. Probably will get a smoothbore barrel for my “Hawken” first and hopefully get acceptable patterns out past 15 yards.
FYI...GM has a couple of 15/16" .54cal/.28ga Flint smoothbore drop-in barrels left on their $100 sale...they are outstanding barrels and drop right into the .50cal Hawken stock...I have one and love it for small game...outstanding patterns of #4/5/6/7.5s at 30 yards...talk to Kerry Smith at GM if you want one but hurry

Thanks Roundball! I just ordered one. Can't wait to give it a try. Really appreciate the heads up. :hatsoff:

- Squirrel Tail

Squirrel Tail said:
Thanks Roundball! I just ordered one. Can't wait to give it a try. Really appreciate the heads up. :hatsoff:

- Squirrel Tail
You'll love it...be glad to share loads I've used for trap, skeet, squirrels & rabbits, crows, doves...and turkey head shots if you can get them to 25yds.

My suggestion is while waiting for the barrel, contact Circle Fly and order a dsupply of .28ga prelubed 1/2" cushion wads, and a supply of their Over Shot cards so you'll have them when the barrel gets there.

When the cushion wads arrive, take a couple dozen, sit down with a single edge razor blade, and cleanly slice those in half so you'll have a supply of 1/4" wads in addition to the 1/2" wads, for pattern testing with each and see the difference.

PS: If you don't already have a spare, get another of TC's redesigned vent liners on the way too...just take the GM liner out and toss it in the trash.

Currently I am hunting them (rabbits & squirrels) with a .62 cal trade musket (flintlock); load is 60 grains of FFg and 1 oz of #5 or #6 shot.

HPIM0496.jpg

Here's Bald Mtn. Man and me yesterday braving blizzard cold and carniverous beagle eating wild rose bushes to put the hurt on a bunny with our 12 bore T/C New Englanders. One shot - one kill for him but I never saw a bunny within my 30 yard zone for the time we were out. Had a ball, though.

"But it doesn't stop there. All of the bigger calibers are ideal for head shots, and you don't need a heap of powder for that. I probably shoot as many snowshoe hares with my 50 and 54 calibers using a PRB over 30 grains of 3f. Dandy practice for big game hunts with the same guns, too.

Yah Baby!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks all the information! Keep the pictures comin' too.

Anyone else have rabbit or squirrel dogs that accompany your muzzleloader?

For the past 2 years I've hunted squirrels with MLers only. A .32 rifle and a .56 smoothbore. Both work great. Been meaning to go with my .62 GM smoothbore Renegade. Next season I'll be huntin' 'em with a .36 flintlock that's being built now.

Hunted em this year with a .32 Traditions capgun. Not many rats but a lot of fun...Bud

My .29 flintlock and .30 percussion have taken their fair share of squirrels. But just like with my .50 percussion that I started out with years ago, even with the smaller calibers you still have to take head shots if you don't want to waste any meat.

As an excuse for not having the time I want, to get away for a real big game hunt,I only small game hunt now.
Nothing compares to a nice morning out with my gun and my dog looking for squirrels.

Back