• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrels can be cagey too!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I spent a few hours in the timber this afternoon and enjoyed perfect early Autumn weather. Low to mid sixties with blue bird skies and only a hint of a breeze, found me prowling for squirrels.

Perhaps prowling is the wrong word. You see, I was in the mood to take a seat and wait for the squirrels to come my way. Many are on the ground here now and it's always been a favorite time of year to hunt them for me. It's a nice break from the neck strain of the previous 6-7 weeks of hunting them while in the treetops. :haha:

It didn't take long to find one coming my way, under a White Oak, that is shedding its acorns. I collected the young gray and just knew I'd find another few in no time.

As titled, even squirrels can be cagey at times. I sat in 5 or 6 different spots. Each time I had encounters of the squirrel kind, but.....

....they had the uncanny knack of coming into my hidey holes from 3-6 o'clock, and then, simply vanish into the understory! :doh:

Not once or twice. No less than ten of the slippery little grey devils pulled this maneuver on me today. Try as I might to swivel around for a clean shot, they were better than I.

I finally had another to follow the script. He'll help fill a skillet with his younger cohort. :thumbsup:

I'll see if Spence is busy. May be he will post a picture of my meager take. I know that we all like pictures (you listening Britsmoothy? :haha: ).

Good luck hunting guys and enjoy the weather!

Best regards, Skychief

Show me a Man who shoots a limit of Grays with a rifle and I'll show you someone who is a good hunter.
Squirrels taught me a lot about hunting in the woods.
Good Hunting.

Amen...couple seasons back I spent one hellofa season with a totally bizarre daffy little limb chicken. I ****** him off the first day by shooting the ball into the tree trunk he was hiding behind to clear the weapon at the end of the day. He'd spent all day chattering away at me and keeping all the Bambis away. I spent the rest of the season dealing with his chatter and jumping from tree to bush. Lot of fun times. The last day was wet, windy and he didn't show all day. Was afraid he'd gotten nicked till it started raining acorns. I looked up and you'll never guess...Yodels (what I'd taken to calling him) was above me dropping acorns! Sorry, but I totally lost it! I didn't get a deer that year, but a season with him was worth it all. Three times since then I've snuck back onto the property (we lost the lease) and left sacks of cracked shell pecans! Little guy deserved it! :rotf:

Your problem Skychief, was that you were hunting for squirrels. If you'd gone into the woods with a mindset and purpose for deer, the squirrels would have run you over with all their noise and numbers. Then you could just change your mind, and shoot a squirrel. As it was, you're lucky a big buck didn't run over you! :doh:

colorado clyde said:
Stoy said:
Squirrels taught me a lot about hunting in the woods.
Spend a day in the woods watching squirrels instead of hunting them and they will teach you a lot about themselves.....And other things too.
Spent many hunts just watching, never having taken a shot, but comming home with my limit :wink:

Lord how I love squirrels, both to hunt and too eat. I, like so many others, learned to hunt them first, so a transition to deer was pretty easy because a lot of the same skills are involved. Thanks for that great story Chief. Keep yer powder dry........robin :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! Good work getting a couple for the pot even with them being cagey. :hatsoff:

Back